Hdcd

Status
Not open for further replies.

ncjimn

In Runtime
I have a few HDCDs, they are a kind of old format mostly used in Asia I think. Anyway, I know the audio is 24-bit and two of my CDs have the DTS logo so I assume they are encoded in DTS or something.

The thing about HDCDs is that they can be played on any CD player. And supposedly you need a special player to get the high quality audio.

When I play my HDCDs on my DVD player they are recognized as regular CDs, same thing with my computer so I don't get the advantage of the 24-bit audio.

Is there a way to 'extract' the high-quality audio and then save as a hi-quality audio file that i can play in my computer?

Heres your first problem. CD's CANNOT and WILL NOT be able to hold anything higher than 16bits. I dont know what DVD's can handle, but the reason you aren't getting as high quality is because CD's can't be used in 24bit formats. When they were released, 16bit was the technology, not 24.

Second problem... your cd player MUST support DTS. Good luck finding one. If you play it in a DVD player, your dvd player most likely supports either DTS, Dolby, or both if you're lucky.

Third. You will also need to hook up your CD/DVD player digitally through coax or optical. If you dont connect digitally, then your player and receiver must have muti-channel outs and ins (IE one jack for each connection; LF, C, RF, SL, SR, SW)

Crysalis said:
Heres your first problem. CD's CANNOT and WILL NOT be able to hold anything higher than 16bits. I dont know what DVD's can handle, but the reason you aren't getting as high quality is because CD's can't be used in 24bit formats. When they were released, 16bit was the technology, not 24.

Second problem... your cd player MUST support DTS. Good luck finding one. If you play it in a DVD player, your dvd player most likely supports either DTS, Dolby, or both if you're lucky.

Third. You will also need to hook up your CD/DVD player digitally through coax or optical. If you dont connect digitally, then your player and receiver must have muti-channel outs and ins (IE one jack for each connection; LF, C, RF, SL, SR, SW)

I found some stuff on google:

As I see it, the audio tracks are recorded in 16-bit, and then there is an additional 4-bit track that only HDCD players can read, the player mixes both tracks and supposedly you get higher quality sound (20-bit).
Some reviews say that there isn't much of an improvement in sound, so basically HDCDs are just like CDs.

I guess I was fooled by the logos on the HDCD's cases (I'll post some pics later).

Apparently the technology is supported by microsoft or was partly developed by them. WMP should be able to play the hi-quality tracks, but they sound the same to me when I use WMP to play them.

Oh well, my HDCDs weren't more expensive than regular CDs so at least I didn't lose money:D

Ok, here is the pics i was talking about:

DSC00723.jpg

DSC00721.jpg

DSC00720.jpg

DSC00719.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom