The New, Hopefully Bug Free Folding@Home Thread!

Status
Not open for further replies.
lol, What Dual Core cpu are you running motoxer? Have you tried or considered trying SMP???

My computer is down from folding for a while, its in the mail being shipped to another town..

lol, What Dual Core cpu are you running motoxer? Have you tried or considered trying SMP???

My computer is down from folding for a while, its in the mail being shipped to another town..

finally going to go to the training camp them dude?

I am addicted to folding now I have just finished my 13th WU.

I just got an Intel 2.13 Ghz. I'm running dual consoles. I haven't tried the SMP (don't even know what it is :0 )

SMP is a high performance folding client, specifically designed for multi-core processors, such as the dual and quad cores.

What is the benefit? Faster folding? Is it worth using?

If it is, I would probably need some help setting it up, if someone wouldn't mind.

The major benefit, is not really faster folding, but they are worth way more points. Each WU is like 1500 points, compared to the regular console's 300 or so, per WU.

Before you set it up, make sure you have Microsoft .NET Framework 2.0 installed. Then download the SMP client. The text console version is preferred. Install it. Then before you run it, go to the directory, where you installed the SMP client, and open install.bat......It will ask you to set up a name and password. So set those up, and some things will happen. If you see this:
If you see this twice, MPI is working
If you see this twice, MPI is working
...twice, it installed properly. Then just exit.

When you start the SMP client, just answer the few questions they ask, like team number and name (your tech forums name is preferred). Then it will start folding. If you plan on putting the SMP icon on your desktop, as a shortcut, make sure you put the -local tag. You do this by right clicking on the shortcut, and where it says target, just add:

-local right at the end of it.

So it should look like something like this:
"C:\Program Files\Folding@Home Windows SMP Client V1.01\fah.exe" -local

Thanks b1. I'll give it a try when I get home in just over an hour or so.

Do I need to have the console versions uninstalled? Or just not running?

Congrats on moving into the #1 spot!

If your going to use smp, you dont really need the console's..

finally going to go to the training camp them dude?

I am addicted to folding now I have just finished my 13th WU.

Yeah, started packing up today.. I'll hopefully have a few weeks to get all my stuff moved... I then have to travel back home and set up everything for my parents and instruct them on how to use F@H, at least it will have someone watching it while im gone..

Update: I have SMP running. The problem? When i ran install.bat, i didn't Enter on through to the password and confirmation. But right now it is sitting at 0... how long does it take to get moving? Do I need to restart it? hello?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom