Overclocking my 4000+ - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Overclocking and Modding
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 12-04-2007, 03:21 PM   #1 (permalink)
TF's First Dry Ice User!

Default Overclocking my 4000+

Hokay, so I'm slightly bored and don't have anything to do, so I'm going to oc my 4000+ like I was planning to do from my builds conception. So I have a few things I would like to get cleared up and get help with. I = Noob OCer.

I can't change the Vcore voltage, I can see it though, and it's going from 1.29 to 1.31 which is odd. Right now its running at 27 C in the bios, and runs around 40-45C under load. (its stock atm)

I can adjust the CPU clock, but not the multiplier, the NB VCore by .05V, ,.1V and .15V, the CPU HT Voltage Adjust, by the same increments as the NB Vcore. and then a bunch of fan options.

so my thing is, can I flash the bios to a version that will give me more overclocking capabilities cause I know what I have for options kinda blows.

also just any general ideas on how I should go about oc'ing my cpu would be greatly appreciated. gotta up my 3dmark score from 6553 to 7k+

A notice to EVERYONE who has posted here with a computer problem, I highly encourage you to keep current with the forums, even if it's browsing for 10-15 minutes during lunch, or before you go to bed at night. There are many things that you can learn and apply to future issues. My goal is to help people get to a point where they can use their own knowledge to help themselves, and others.

Also please use the search button. You've got a 50/50 chance that someone's asked your question and we've answered it.
Old 12-04-2007, 03:25 PM   #2 (permalink)
Future ex-member

Send a message via MSN to lancec2c30
Default Re: Overclocking my 4000+

You just need to search for a bios flash on the board.. If you can't find one then all you can do is turn of the cpu's fsb until it isn't stable anymore. Then your done.

XP Pro | Vista Home Premium | Linux Ubuntu 7.10
s939 X2 3800 Toledo @ 2.6ghz | evga 7900gs | 320gig + 80gig wd | 1gb Ram | Abit KN8 SLI
3.1ghz achieved. :cool:
70K F@H member..............still waiting for the "iRACK"

Norcent will not be forgotten.

Old 12-04-2007, 03:43 PM   #3 (permalink)
I feel funny...

Send a message via AIM to thirdshiftdj

Quote:
Originally Posted by lancec2c30 View Post
turn of the cpu's fsb until it isn't stable anymore.
Turn up
Old 12-04-2007, 03:52 PM   #4 (permalink)
TF's First Dry Ice User!

alrighty. It looks like I can do a flash and update my bios. So I go to the ECS website, download the latest drivers and put them on a disk and boot from the disk and do what it says to do in the manual.

By flashing my BIOS what exactly will that accomplish? Will it change the settings within my BIOS? Or will it just do some updates.
A notice to EVERYONE who has posted here with a computer problem, I highly encourage you to keep current with the forums, even if it's browsing for 10-15 minutes during lunch, or before you go to bed at night. There are many things that you can learn and apply to future issues. My goal is to help people get to a point where they can use their own knowledge to help themselves, and others.

Also please use the search button. You've got a 50/50 chance that someone's asked your question and we've answered it.
Old 12-04-2007, 04:14 PM   #5 (permalink)
Master Techie

It'll wipe the BIOS and write and a new BIOS code, probably newer and more stable.
Old 12-04-2007, 04:24 PM   #6 (permalink)
Future ex-member

It may also unlock or give you more options. I know when I flashed the BIOS on my board I had some more options for adjusting ram timings..

With luck it may unlock more voltage control.

s939 X2 3800 Toledo @ 2.6ghz | evga 7900gs | 320gig + 80gig wd | 1gb Ram | Abit KN8 SLI

Old 12-04-2007, 04:37 PM   #7 (permalink)
TF's First Dry Ice User!

im testing out to see the limits on what I can do with the board as is.

anybody who uses/used speedfan, which reading is the CPU itself? Everest is giving me the same reading everytime which i am thinking isn't right.

also for speedfan, what is temp2 cause thats pretty hot and its kinda worrying me...

Old 12-04-2007, 04:59 PM   #8 (permalink)
Future ex-member

try a program called core temp.. I myself never liked speedfan... my program that came with the motherboard seems the most accurate. But I don't think you have that option.

Compare everest to core temp and speedfan... see if they average.

But if you can't adjust the voltage any. Don't even worry about temps. because more voltage makes more heat, not more mhz.

set it to run at 2.4ghz and run prime95 to see if it passes stability testing.

Old 12-04-2007, 05:05 PM   #9 (permalink)
disgruntled ex-moderator

you wont find a temp program that monitors a brisbane right. at least i never have.
the bios is pretty close, i dont know why there isnt a program that does it.
use lance's idea and get kind of an average...thats about the only way.
what i used to do was turn my pc off for awhile and let it cool completely. then i'd turn it on, check bios temps, then real quick-like check core temp and see how much difference there was. add a couple or 3 degrees for the time it takes to get the temp from core, and there you have it.
Old 12-04-2007, 05:06 PM   #10 (permalink)
TF's First Dry Ice User!

its at 2.62 now and is going through prime95. passed the first series of 6 and is on test 4.

sorry i don't really know how prime95 works seeing as its my first time using it. lol.

but so far it seems stable. once it runs for a while longer im gonna run 3dmark on it. see what kind of score increases i can get.

Closed Thread