Laptop overclocking w/i7 - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Overclocking and Modding
Closed Thread
Old 12-13-2010, 12:48 AM   #1 (permalink)
Super Techie
Send a message via AIM to Riznarf
Default Laptop overclocking w/i7

Hey all-
So I'm buying a new laptop with the i7-740qm and a gtx 460m. I know in the past laptop overclocking was prett much impossible due to the heat but Noe with sort of "built-in" OC in the i7 chips, turbo boost, it seems like a worthwhile thing to do.

So heres my question, is this turbo boost a true OC? Is it plausible in laptops or will it cause problems? What about gpu and ram OC?

Ps- if it matters the laptop I'm looking to buy (asus g73jw apparently has very cool native cooling plus I have a laptop cooling pad underneath it)

ASRock H67M
i7-2500k @ 3.30
eVGA gtx 570 @ 880/1000
2x 4gb G.Skill Ripjaws DDR3-1333
Corsair 600w PSU
3DMark 11: 6595
Old 12-13-2010, 01:03 AM   #2 (permalink)
Hyper Techie
Default Re: Laptop overclocking w/i7

Yes turbo boosting is technically overclocking and doesn't pose any problems seeing as it is a stock feature. It is not controlled by the user except in the sense of on and off. I have Turbo boost on my i5 laptop it turns on and off depending on the circumstance and runs just fine. OCing on a laptop besides that is pretty much not possible or recommended. To OC a laptop it would take 3rd party OC software which is never recommended. This goes for RAM aswell. GPU overclocking is plausible but not recommended it's truly a case by case basis on whether or not you should do it.

TO SUM IT UP: It's not worth OCing a laptop. Too much heat and instability.

On a side note I highly recommend that notebook regardless I've used an earlier model and it was an absolute beast. Hope that helps you.
- AMD FX8320 @ 4.2Ghz - ASRock Fatal1ty 990FX Killer - G.Skill Ripjaws X 8gb -
- Asus Strix GTX 970 - Corsair Neutron GTX - Corsair TX 750 -
- Cooler Master HAF XB - Corsair H105 -
- Asus VG248QE - Corsair M60 & K90 -
Closed Thread