How do you know your computer is not overheating? - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Overclocking and Modding
Closed Thread
Old 06-07-2004, 12:24 AM   #1 (permalink)
Newb Techie
Send a message via AIM to Ryan_h
Default How do you know your computer is not overheating?

I have really often wondered about this. I have one fan blowing air in the computer and two sucking tair out ontop of all that, two fans for the power supply and one fan for the microprocessor. I am assuming that is normal. But how do you know it is not heating up like a sauna inside the little box? I have this program, Intel something, that tells me the temperature of the computer, the speeds of the fans ect.. But the program it self doesnt work to well and I am questioning it's accurarcy. How do you, the people on the forum, know your computer is running smoothly?

Old 06-07-2004, 02:42 AM   #2 (permalink)
Super Techie

If it is stable and I wouldn't question the accuracy of that program they tend to work fine.

I wish I had a computer but I am broke!!!
Old 06-07-2004, 07:39 AM   #3 (permalink)
Wizard Techie

your motherboard should have a CMOS setup that you can use to read the CPU and case/ internal temps from the BIOS of your motherboard. this is located in the hardware monitor section. it will also show you other things like your Vcore voltages, ect. at boot up it will ask something like "press f8 to enter CMOS".

these readings are not always accurate. if you want true readings of temps use a hardware sensor probe. they are inexpensive and you can pick them up at an online store like i use the thermaltake hardcano (9?) the probe is taped to the bottom of the CPU. your CPU temp is the most important.
Old 06-07-2004, 07:51 AM   #4 (permalink)
Newb Techie

You can also download this program and run it's full report option and it will tell you what your motherboard temps and cpu temp's and let you know if your fans are working correctly.
Closed Thread