HELP!@!@! Computer won't start with new RAM - Page 3 - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Overclocking and Modding
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 01-11-2006, 05:38 PM   #21 (permalink)
Super Techie

It is common knowledge to use slots 2 and 4 for this board. that is what i used with my Corsair Value Select and it ran perfectly in dual channel. My new ram will not work with 1 or 2 sticks in any of the 4 options. I know you can change a lot in the bios but my computer wont even post. I think that either i have defective ram or it is completely incompatible. Since both companies claim to be perfectly compatible I can only assume that I just must have 2 defective sticks of ram. I got a crappy 256 stick of ram from a guy at work that I am going to try tonight. If that works then I will know it is my ram that is the issue.

Macombaland your issue almost sounds like a problem that I had with my old computer when my power supply started to die.

Old 01-11-2006, 05:51 PM   #22 (permalink)
Chillin Techie

I use 2 samsung 512 stick on my dfi board. so mobo just don't like some ram. that ram is probably fine

Old 01-11-2006, 11:02 PM   #23 (permalink)
Super Techie

Well I tried a 256 stick of Crucial crap ram that a guy at work lent me and my computer started right up as though nothing was wrong at all.

Neither of the other sticks work but this one works perfectly and so did my Corsair ValueSelect ram that I had before. All I can think is that my two new sticks of ram are defective or my MOBO isn't compatible with OCZ but that doesn't make any sense because both companies state that they are compatible with one another and on the dfi-street.com forum they recommended this ram as good OCing ram for this MOBO.

Any other thoughts or should I simply RMA the RAM as quickly as possible so that I can get up and running again. Should I RMA for replacement RAM or should I look into RMAing for a refund and get different RAM? I thought this RAM would be perfect for my system.
Old 01-11-2006, 11:10 PM   #24 (permalink)
Chillin Techie

Quote:
Originally posted by Flying-Squirrel
Well I tried a 256 stick of Crucial crap ram that a guy at work lent me and my computer started right up as though nothing was wrong at all.

Neither of the other sticks work but this one works perfectly and so did my Corsair ValueSelect ram that I had before. All I can think is that my two new sticks of ram are defective or my MOBO isn't compatible with OCZ but that doesn't make any sense because both companies state that they are compatible with one another and on the dfi-street.com forum they recommended this ram as good OCing ram for this MOBO.

Any other thoughts or should I simply RMA the RAM as quickly as possible so that I can get up and running again. Should I RMA for replacement RAM or should I look into RMAing for a refund and get different RAM? I thought this RAM would be perfect for my system.
I meesed with a lot of computers. sometime a mobo just don't like a certain kind of ram. I've had this happen on boards that they were suppose to be compatible with.

that said, I still send that ram back and get a different brand
Old 01-12-2006, 02:57 AM   #25 (permalink)
Ultra Techie

RMA them, try another pair...worst case you refund and pick another brand if the new ones dont work...but ocz platinums are about the best aren't they? i'd try them again.
  • GIGABYTE GA-990FXA-UD3 AM3+
  • Aspire X-Plorer Silent Case
  • PC Power & Cooling Silencer 610W Continuous
  • 180GB Intel 520 SSD
  • Vizio 32" TV (1920/1080)/Acer P221W 22" Widescreen LCD (1680/1050)
Old 01-12-2006, 12:42 PM   #26 (permalink)
Super Techie

Well I decided to RMA them and get G.Skill instead. The Platinums I had I heard don't OC that great. They have good timings for stock speeds but can't OC well at all supposedly. Here is my giveup link lol:

http://www.techist.com/showthread.php?threadid=87401