Hard drive speeds 5400 and 7200?? What to do! Help!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Diana_web

Beta member
Hi, I have a question and I hope someone can help me. Im going to upgrade my computer by installing a second hard drive. I have seen some hard drives that are internal that are much cheaper that buying an external hard drive. According to someone I talked to I would have to purchase a hard drive that would not go over 5400rmp and the internal drives that I have seen on Bestbuy and all the other electronics stores are 7200. According to the person I talked to they said it would have to be a 5400 because my motherboard would not be able to read and it would not recognize the drive. I have an HP Pavilion a230n. If anyone could help and tell me if that is accurate?? Or is it better to go with an external hard drive??? I have tried to look for the information but Im not sure if Im looking in the right place!! Thanks a lot!:D

i dont think that a p.4 mother board rejects the 7200rpm hard disks !
ask the customer care at hp help center !

Get 7200rpm. It is the interface that matter, not the rotational speed.

Check if your motherboard supports (P)ATA or SATA and get a drive with one of those interfaces.
If you want to go external, you need an external hard disk enclosure (again, (P)ATA(100/133) or SATA). These enclosures mostly connect to your USB port.

Using the disk as an external disk will be slower, especially if you don't have USB2.0 (eg USB1.1).

yea 7200RPM is the standard speed these days.....5400rpm is reserved mainly for older laptops.....but if you really want fast check out the 10,000RPM raptor hdds.

I've taken a look at the a230n - there is NO ISSUE with installing a 7200 RPM Drive into your computer. For best Performance, make sure you configure your drives in the following manner:

IDE 1
====
Primary: Original HDD
Secondary: CD ROM/DVDBURNER

IDE 2
====
Primary: NEW HDD
Secondary: Empty or other CD ROM/DVD BURNER.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom