theoretical cooling option

Status
Not open for further replies.
cwiz said:
i went to school for mechanical engineering. (heat transfer and fluid mechanics)
i make aerospace heat exchangers. so if you think im an idiot, dont fly.
haha, that was funny.

hey it might work though, never know...
i'm not saying you can't do it... i'm saying you shouldnt

if your parts are colder than ambient, condensation will form when ambient temp air reaches the board. you would actually be better off with the whole thing in the frig, at least that way the chips will be warmer than the air instead of the other way around.

you would not be able to open the frig once you get the mobo cold until the whole inside of the frig heats up slowly to ambient temps with no new air being added. you would have to unplug the frig and wait. if you leave the pc on you would have to make sure you dont overshoot the ok range and sufficate you puter.

it would take you probably like 30 mins every time you want to change something inside. then another day to get the whole thing cold again...

if you open the frig and let fresh air in, it will cause condensation on the chilly chips.

well all u guys here are correct about how a refridgerator and condensation works but this is just a hypothesis. an experiment is required. get one of those ancient computers ( ones from school) and try it, ull neva no the outcome if u dont do experiments. so spartan if u decide to try it, im with u all the way.

krazieaznboi said:
well all u guys here are correct about how a refridgerator and condensation works but this is just a hypothesis. an experiment is required. get one of those ancient computers ( ones from school) and try it, ull neva no the outcome if u dont do experiments. so spartan if u decide to try it, im with u all the way.

But, didn't you just say:

Krazieaznboi said:

it wont work. A refrigerator works by transferring heat from the inside of the refrigerator to the air outside the refrigerator. if u do research on a refridgerator than ull no y. final answer is u cant use a refridgerator to cool a computer.

Hmm...

And for the record, that post was sarcastic...the coil on the back of a fridge is actually quite hot, not cold.

cwiz said:
if your parts are colder than ambient, condensation will form when ambient temp air reaches the board. you would actually be better off with the whole thing in the frig, at least that way the chips will be warmer than the air instead of the other way around.

you would not be able to open the frig once you get the mobo cold until the whole inside of the frig heats up slowly to ambient temps with no new air being added. you would have to unplug the frig and wait. if you leave the pc on you would have to make sure you dont overshoot the ok range and sufficate you puter.

it would take you probably like 30 mins every time you want to change something inside. then another day to get the whole thing cold again...

if you open the frig and let fresh air in, it will cause condensation on the chilly chips.

cwiz is 100% correct!

Also, All of the moister inside of the fridge will stick to the cooling element and turn into ice, This will dehumidify the inside of the fridge. (No moister = no condensation) BUT You better have a catch tray under the cooling element to catch the melting ice/water when you turn the fridge off.

I say go for it :D

Install your PSU outside of the fridge to help maintain a cooler temperature inside of the fridge.

Also install your CD/DVD drive outside of the fridge so you don't have to open the fridge to change CDs.

The only question is......Is the fridge powerful enough to maintain a cold temperature with your hardware inside of it? I don't think a small fridge would be powerful enough :( But the only way to find out is to try it :cool:

the original intent wasn't to put it inside a refrigerator, seeing as i don't happen to have a spare. What i could do though is experiment with this dell computer. Although i don't want to kill it, it's not worth much anymore.

CrazeD said:
But, didn't you just say:

Hmm...

And for the record, that post was sarcastic...the coil on the back of a fridge is actually quite hot, not cold.

not working is just my hypothesis.... sry for the miss understandings.

Never thought you were an idiot, I just asked a question.

There once was a guy who had a computer in a small freezer, and he ran it for over a year without problems. I never found out if he ended up killing that thing. He had about 1 inch of ice around the inside of the freezer. It was really kind of interesting, cause I would have figured that the ice woulda melded at one point(when the computer was under load) and caused a short. He was gonna have to chip away some ice to get the sound card out, which was an old creative labs ISA AWA64 I think.

Just to clairify, he ran it without a case, inside a freezer....... so yeah you know therorize all you want, quote any text book you want, its been done. Granted I still wouldn't do it, because theres still a small chance of something bad happening.

Anyway, my last post to this thread, I just don't want to spare the time. BTW sorry about the first post, I had a bad day and it seemed to show in the post, wasn't my intention.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom