Freezes at boot, help appreciated

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheQuietWarlock

Beta member
Hullo,

Two days ago, I was surfing the web when I started to get more pop-ups then usual. I didn't feel like running through the virus scanner, adware, spyware, the works, so I chose the opportunity to commit a whole month to *nix usage.

So, I put in Arch Linux to try it out, (while I have the time, I'm looking at gentoo and FreeBSD also) and rebooted. Everything rebooted fine, I got to the installation prompts, went through it fine I believe. I erased my hard drive and repartioned it like I've done numerous times in the past with Linux distro's, and installed Arch and the GRUB boot-loader.

Now, I wasn't quite sure I did it all right though. I had a strange feeling I had just written GRUB to hda or hda1, whichever one is the first default, where I had installed Arch, because hda/hda1 is the default set location to install Linux.

Anyways, it said everything was fine, and it rebooted for me. And it got to the first boot screen with the options of F2 for Boot Options, and F10 for BIOS. Everything was fine. Besides for the fact 2 hours later it was still on this screen. I tried it again. Same results. Tried it again with the CD out of the drive. Same results. I tried pressing F2, I tried pressing F10, no response.

I came to the conclusion that my computer was freezing up at boot, hence no response to the buttons.

Now, the reason I mentioned possibly installing GRUB incorrectly, was as a possibility. I posted on several Linux forums and havn't been able to get help, but they have said that it is most likely a hardware issue and not a software issues, such as the lack of Arch and/or GRUB.

I have also tried flashing my BIOS. I turned my computer off, waited about 30 seconds. Moved the jumper from the default pins 1 and 2, and switched them over to pins 2 and 3. Then I waited a minute, and moved them back over to 1 and 2. Turned on my computer, and it had made no noticable change.

I unhooked my IDE hard drive, and restarted. It went fine for it missing a hard drive, said it couldn't detect one. So I put in a Live-CD of Knoppix STD, restarted it, and am now running Knoppix STD off of my 256mb RAM stick. (I don't recommend it, I have to do daily restarts so it doesn't slow down horribly)

Corrupt harddrive? That's all i can suggest. Take it to your local computer maintenance place and get them to run a scan on it. If not, do it yourself if you have the software on CD.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom