Techist - Tech Forum - View Single Post - Computer Postmortem

Click Here to Login
View Single Post
Old 04-17-2004, 08:47 AM   #3 (permalink)
Default Re: Computer Postmortem

Originally posted by waynejkruse10
I know this sounds silly but
My computer recently broke. (AMD K6-2 550 mhz, 184 SD-RAM, 10 gig HDD, CD burner, Floppy drive, Modem, 4 months ago upgraded to XP from 98) Now i am being hassled by my family on why it broke.
That sux dude!!!!

With out really putting any thought into what you have discibed ;
My response would be that the MOTHERBOARD DIED as it was old. Like I have not seem a socket 7 motherboard since about early year 2000. And that was RA stock that the disty still had on hand.

That processor and motherboard set is about 4-5 years old. Most home computer life expectancy IMHO is 3 years.

It's going to be a bit of a good luck job finding a socket 7 motherboard now days as no one is making them any more.

If you purchased that system in 2001, then I would find it hard to believe that it's new.

Originally posted by waynejkruse10
My family (who arnt very computer literate) think because i was running XP it broke because i pushed it too hard but it easily met microsofts requirements for XP.
Now that is BULL$#!+ right there. Xp would easily run on that box. I have managed to get a Xp to run on CPUs a low as Celeron 333Mhz. And I have installed it on plenty of 500 Mhz CPUs with out a hit.
No offence, but your parents are full of $#!+ with their statement.

You might try to convince your parents to upgrade to some thing newer / better. Like a motherboard + Celeron 2Ghz is only about $200 in this country.

Over all, good luck. I really hate it when some one it on my back about things. Especialy when they have no idea.

Main Rig - AMD FX-8350x8 4.0Ghz CPU, 4x 8Gb (32Gb) DDR3 Ram, Gigabyte GA-970A-D3, GeForce GT 970 4Gb, 1x 256Gb SSD\8Tb (3+2+2+1) SATA HDD, DVDRW, SB X-Fi, Win 10 (64-bit)
HP zBook 14 - Intel Core i7 4600U (2.1 - 2.7 GHz), 16GB, 512GB SSD, 14" Display, Win 10 (64-bit)
Mobile Phone : Samsung Galaxy 8+Console : Play Station 4 Pro

Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.