Overheating - Clamp

Status
Not open for further replies.

shroud77

Beta member
I apologize in advance for not being able to give specific details as to the parts involved in this problem. Hopefully my descriptions will be enough.

My computer appears to be overheating. It shuts off on a whim when it's working hard. It will run indefinitely when doing mundane tasks like just running a browser, but games for instance will cause it to just shut down (no warning, just powers off).

I have a heat sink / fan combo sitting on top of the chip. There is a square, plastic frame that sits on the outside of the chip, and it has 4 posts with "hooks" on top where the clamps attach to hold the heat sink firm against the chip.

One of those hooks broke during a move, so only one clamp can be affixed. The other side of the heat sink / fan is not being held firm to the chip.

It's just a plastic hook, but obviously the plastic frame with the posts is firmly attached to the board, so I don't know how to replace it, and I can't come up with an alternative solution to hold the heat sink / fan combo in place. Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance.

It sounds like an Intel Northwood 478, if one of the clips is broken, then it sounds like overheating. Run a piece of software up like "SpeedFan" which will tell you your tempreatures, post them up on here, and we may be able to help a little more! Also get a piece of software called "CPU-Z" and screenshot the program and speedfan and we can help! With the clip situation, it sounds as if you may need a new motherboard, unless you want to buy a better cooler, in which case it will use its own retainer. But have a look at your temperatures first!

http://www.cpuid.com/download/cpu-z-135.zip (CPU-Z)
http://www.almico.com/speedfan428.exe (SpeedFan)

Hope this helps
Ruan

If one of the holddowns is broken running you comp (and Overheating the cpu more) is bad.
Replace the fan/heatsink first.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom