can i use xp pro setup disc to upgrade home

Status
Not open for further replies.

suicide007

In Runtime
I am currently running windows xp home because i lost my pro setup disc and borrowed the home ed. from a friend. I just found the pro disc, and was wondering if there was a way to upgrade it without losing all of my data.

I heard that you could boot from the disc and choose repair or womething, but i dont know if that erases everything.

And, i already tried it in windows, but it says it does not support upgrading home edition.

As long as they are both the same service pack, then Yes.

If you try to upgrade Home SP2 to Pro SP1, it will give a compatiblity error. As long as they're both the same service pack, everything will be OK

thats a problem... I tried to download and install the service pack 2 update, and it wouldnt install. I forgot what exactly the error was. Anyways, i have sp1, and the disc is sp2. I think the error was something about failed to something system. Wow, that helps.

it would be better if you backed up everything and reinstalled to pro just to save you the trouble

You can also just uninstall sp2 from add/remove programs then it will alow you to upgrade all though Warez Monster is right format and reinstall is "ALWAYS" the better way to go.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom