Locking up during boot

Status
Not open for further replies.

ldhertert

Beta member
I think this might be hard to diagnose...I'm just looking for ideas here, any help would be appreciated.

I've got an intel D845GEBV2 motherboard (pentium 4). It runs perfectly thus far, except under certain circumstances. It boots perfectly into Windows XP. But when I try to deviate from that, weirdness happens.

When I had GRUB on there (to dual boot) it would do one of three things:
1) If I didn't press anything on the keyboard, it would count down and go into Windows XP (default).
2) If I pressed a key (like the up arrow) and a CD was in the drive, it would lock up.
3) If I pressed a key and there was no CD in the drive, it would work correctly.

Now we move on to the things that never work. If I go into my BIOS settings, it pretty much locks up. By pretty much, I mean it won't respond to my keystrokes. But the clock still refreshes.

Also, if I try to boot from a boot disk, as soon as it gets to a portion that needs a key to be pressed, it locks up.

I've tried disconnecting my spare hard drive and both of my CD drives and this behavior is the same. I also attempted to boot with a USB keyboard, and it still doesn't work. Any suggestions?

As far as the dual boot, it sounds like an issue with your partitioning software (not fimiliar with GRUB apart from its applications).

Apart from that, try these out maybe?

I'm pretty sure it's not a problem with my partition or boot sector. If that was the case, I would not be having problems with my BIOS or when I booted from a disk.

Also, I forgot to mention that I've already tried flashing my BIOS.

well, I got it working. I had to take the battery out and reset the CMOS. Beats me why that was causing it...I'm not complaining though.

Resetting the CMOS just cleared up your BIOS. Something was set incorrectly in there.

Glad it worked out!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom