Noise!

Status
Not open for further replies.

brianthekiller

Baseband Member
I'm running on a modified Emachines T6520. I've added a 6600GT and a Antec SmartPower2.0 400W PSU. Now here's my concern:

After startup, this baby is silent as an assassin. No fan noise whatsoever. Now, say I play BF2 for about an hour. Of course, the fans kick in because this game is using my CPU, GPU, RAM, etc. to a high degree, so the system needs to be cooled to account for the increased workload. Fine. But after I close the game, the fans are still going at full clip even if I leave the system unattended for an hour. Why is it doing this, and what can I do to put a stop to it? I just ran my task manager and it says that my CPU usuage is 0% so there's nothing running the background that's hogging my resources. How long does your system take to cool off after a bout of gaming?

I opened my case, and it didn't take long for the fan to slow down to idle. So, obviously, it was an airflow problem. I unplugged everything and tried to tuck every loose bit of wire away so that it doesn't interfere, and I'll see how that works.

Not enouph case fans. Get a new case or mod your one now.
Add a 120mm fan for out and a 80mm for intake.

Your computer isn't meant to have a graphics card like that in it. The fan keeps cooling the GPU but the air just keeps getting recycled within the case. Causing the fan to spin faster to keep the temp down.

If your eMachine is like mine, you have a spot in the back for an 80mm fan. Grab one and mount it as an exhaust fan.

My temps dropped 5-9 degrees with mine, and I'm not a gamer.

Go for a 120mm fan or two if you can fit it (or mod the case slightly to fit it). Much quieter than an 80mm fan and really moves the air.

noises your computer shouldn't make: buzz, bang, boom, splash, kapow, ching, floop, zorp, beewwwooooooop.

I hope this helps!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom