RAID 0 Setup

Status
Not open for further replies.
You shouldn't even need to get a floppy... Just enter your bios and tell the computer to boot from your cd drive with the install disk in it. Install the RAID drivers, and go from there.

Igetshockedalot said:
Install the RAID drivers, and go from there.

Ya, to install the drivers, it may need a floppy disk with the drivers on a floppy. and thats my problem. I havent tried this yet guys. I get the rest of my computer in about an hour, I'll hook it up, see how it goes and leave you guys with the results. we'll see what you guys have to say. Thanks

That doesn't really make sense. Why does the computer care if the drivers are on a floppy or CD? I'm pretty sure (although I've been wrong before!) that you can do it by telling BIOS to boot from the CD drive with the driver disk in there. If not, then I apologize in advance for steering you wrong. Good luck!

ok guys, just got done messing with it all day. I tried everything. In no way did it say anything about RAID except one point when I didnt expect it. The tutorials I read all said stuff about it automatically popping up about setting up the RAID. It didnt. The only thing I ever got out of it was when it asked for the system disk, i put in the WinXP and it loaded that and thats when it flashed to press F3 for RAID or SCUZ. But I missed it, so I dicontinued the windows install and tried to start over. But it just stopped at a screen saying Verifying DMI Data Pool.... and didnt leave there any time after. I tried plugging in a IDE hard drive with windows on it, it would get to the Windows loading screen with the blue sliding bar and then restart and do it over and over. To no avail. Anyone got any ideas. Im desperate.

Igetshockedalot said:
That doesn't really make sense. Why does the computer care if the drivers are on a floppy or CD? I'm pretty sure (although I've been wrong before!) that you can do it by telling BIOS to boot from the CD drive with the driver disk in there. If not, then I apologize in advance for steering you wrong. Good luck!

Its because Windows needs the drivers to recognize the HDD during Windows installation, and you can't load drivers off of a CD while you're already running the Windows CD.

ShivX said:
ok guys, just got done messing with it all day. I tried everything. In no way did it say anything about RAID except one point when I didnt expect it. The tutorials I read all said stuff about it automatically popping up about setting up the RAID. It didnt. The only thing I ever got out of it was when it asked for the system disk, i put in the WinXP and it loaded that and thats when it flashed to press F3 for RAID or SCUZ. But I missed it, so I dicontinued the windows install and tried to start over. But it just stopped at a screen saying Verifying DMI Data Pool.... and didnt leave there any time after. I tried plugging in a IDE hard drive with windows on it, it would get to the Windows loading screen with the blue sliding bar and then restart and do it over and over. To no avail. Anyone got any ideas. Im desperate.

What is the brand and model of the motherboard you're using?

Its a Chaintech SK8T800. Im using it now to do this, but its only using one hard drive. Ive contacted the manu. and they said that you have to enable RAID in the BIOS, but I couldnt find RAID anywhere in the BIOS to enable. And also, once I have created the RAID array, I have to connect another IDE hard drive with windows, I tried that but it gets to the loading screen and restarts. So how is that supposed to work?

I didn't see anything in the manual for that motherboard about enabling the RAID in the bios, so either you don't have to or the manual just sucks. Places to look in the BIOS for enabling RAID would be Advanced BIOS Features or Advanced Chipset Features, that would be my guess if you haven't already looked there. And about adding a HDD with windows already on it to a new motherboard, you'll have to reformat it, an existing install of windows wont load on a new motherboard.

Hey guys, after much battling and yelling, I got it done. Not exactly how I wanted, the windows cluster is 4 and my array is 16, but I dont really care. I may tackle that again some other time but for now, fully operational. Thanks alot to all of you, here are some pics to how it looks. The pics are before I hid all the wires and put in the vid card and sound and all that so it looks a little different now. Oh, and theres a 120mm blue led fan in the back too now. Thanks.

full.jpg

window.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom