Computer won't start, please help

Status
Not open for further replies.

papakyle02

Beta member
For about a year I've had a pretty good gaming setup; Athlon 64 on a MSI Neo Plat with a ATI x800 xt in there. It worked extremely well without any hints to a problem until about three weeks ago when it started beeping periodically; about once every five minutes. Eventually, after leaving my computer on while I went to get some eats, I came back to a shutdown computer. When I started it up, it would freeze at POST and do a series of beeps with varying tones. After some internet investigation with the help of my friend, we found that those beeps (including the beeps from before it shut down) indicated a fried processor.

Without wasting too much time, I RMA'd my Athlon 64, and recently recieved a new one back from AMD. Overjoyed of course, I slapped that one in my computer, only to see that I had the same problem. That same day I went to CompUSA to pick a different motherboard, thinking that it was sending funky messages because it was really the one that was fried. So with my new processor and new motherboard, I started it up and it had the same error message.

Frustrated, my friend and I put in new RAM, a new power supply, new IDE cables, and even put all of it in a new case. No luck at all. The only sort of progress we've made is when we put in his hard drive we got rid of the beeping with varying tones, and now just have one long beep at startup, and the computer shuts off.

As far as my computer knowledge goes (which i admit, isn't that far) we've completely replaced every piece of the system, and there is no logical reason as to why it wouldn't work. I'm beginning to think that maybe AMD sent me the same bum processor back, but I don't know for sure. If anyone has any ideas, could you please PLEASE post them.

Thanks for reading. And thanks in advance for posting on this

1 long beep can indicate--

Power
Power supply
Loose card or cable
Short

Since you eliminate the power supply I'm gonna guess maybe your power outlet or surge may be damage, or maybe your CD ROM or Floopy drive interface or cable may be loose or the pin maybe be damage.

I'll have to try changing out the CD ROM tomorrow, when I can borrow my friend's. But i'm curious...can a faulty CD ROM really cause the system to not boot at all? That sounds odd to me, but then again I don't know much about computers.

look through the BIOS and disable any "halt on error" settings. re-enable them later but do this for now to see if it will boot just to found out if the cpu is nuked. i don't know if AMD sent you the same cpu but it could be possible that the first motherboard which was probably damaged damaged the second cpu when you went to test it.

p.s. sounds like the problem to start with may have been overheating

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom