Dual Sata Raid Cntrlr Card

Status
Not open for further replies.

atidonjr

Beta member
First of all I'd like to say hello to everyone and that this is my first time in a forum so please bare with me.

For reference the system I am working with is an
Intel P4 1.70 Ghz, 768MB RAM, Gigabyte MB (model?), 1 Seagate 40G ATA and 1 Seagate 160GB SATA , and I am running Windows XP Pro SP1.

I recently installed a Dual PCI SATA Raid controller card and connected ONLY ONE SATA hdd to it. After turning it on, the system intermittently hangs as soon as the option to enter the cards RAID configuration appears and the card detects the hdd. I cannot go into the BIOS settings, and the system fails to boot neither from the cdrom or the IDE hdd where the OS is installed.

I am able to go into the cards RAID configurations. It shows that the hdd was detected and I was even able to format it, in which case I can safely assume that the hdd may not be the problem.

On the contrary I 'm also assuming that the card may not the problem because when the SATA hdd is DISCONNECTED the system works perfectly fine. Windows detects the card and I am able to install its driver.

My question is...Do Dual SATA Raid controller cards require 2 hdds connected to it to function properly or have I simply connected a faulty hdd to it.

When you set it up with a single drive, you need to use JBOD. If your card doesn't use this, it won't work.

JBOD = Just a bunch of Drives

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom