Crashing XP

Status
Not open for further replies.

Copper

Baseband Member
Hello
Can anyone please help?

I recently upgraded from Windows ME to XP Professional, but my machine constantly crashes when it is playing a game, or running a couple of programmes at the same time, the screen turns blue, and says that it is "dumping physical memory" "please restart".

I have a 30gb hard drive with still 8gb free.

An EPOX EP-8KTA2 (via KT133 AGPset) Main board

One stick of 512mb 168pin PC133

AMD Athlon 1200 mhz

Creative Live 1024 sound card

32mb GEFORCE II MX (now known as a 3D PROPHET II MX)

I have downloaded all the latest drivers to suit, and also flashed the BIOS, but it still keeps crashing.

I am on broadband, and I trade a lot on ebay, I can open up a good few pages on ebay at a time, but if I attempt that while listening to some tunes on the Media Player then it will more or less guarantee to crash.

My knowledge on this is very limited, but is there drivers that I should download for the main board itself

Any help on this would be much appreciated

Copper.

just wondering, when you update XP, did you just upgrade the old software ( popped the cd in and did an upgrade) or did you format and start all over again...

for some odd reason, XP does not like to be put over other OS...

you are getting the blue screen of death, you OS is unstable, you can try to run a repair on it, but chances are you are going to have to FORMAT, then reload the OS...

good luck!

Half right, XP is a great upgrade for Win2k, and proven to be very stable.

But to upgrade from WinMe, it is not.

it most certainly can be

you can definately load xp over another os. check your event logs and you will probably find you are bleeding all over the place. If so click the errors and click the link. It should direct you to M$ website. The most likely cause for the errors are the due to loading over (upgrading) from ME. As ME is no longer supported by our org. I would suggest an fdisk and format ....

Got two links for you, first one is a thread from here with someone else's similar issue:

http://www.techist.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=5805&perpage=15&pagenumber=1

Saved this link from when I built my system a year and a half ago, at the same time I upgraded to XP, but from a clean install, had same issues. Figured the driver updated amd SP's had corrected this problem by now, but its a long and lenthy article:

http://www.viaarena.com/?PageID=64

Good luck

OH, be sure you have SP1 installed for XP.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom