Win XP Home Upgrade "Error 797"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Very Strange because Error 797 is specifically a driver issue. It usto happen all the time with Windows 2000 and every time removing it through Device Manager and installing the latest driver would do it. I have also seen it about 15 times on PC's running XP since XP came out. And was able to resolve it the same way. For your issue I won't be able to resolve it through this forum a more hands on approach is needed. My apologies.

No apologies necessary. I truly appreciate your efforts. FYI: In dialing properties, general tab, connnect using: there is a red X followed by modem removed - unavailable device (com 1). In control panel, phone modems, modems; compaq data fax modem connected to "com 4". My on board network adapter is also not recognized by xp. Thanks again for all your time and effort. Ray

Since your on board LAN card is no longer detecting that opens up a few more possibilities.

From this point I would take off the modem card completely. Get the latest drivers and bios updates from the manufacturer. You had said before that it was previously running Win 98 so I am assuming it is an older bios version and older drivers.

After updating put the Modem PCI card back in and try again. Remember to remove it through the Device Manager as previously instructed.

Post back when you have updated all necessary drivers and bios.

To find the motherboard manufacturer just open the computer and look directly on the motherboard it will have the Manufacturer and Model number. Next go to the Manufactures website and download all the latest drivers and Bios and follow their instructions to update.

Steve, I hope you get this. Microsoft came up with the solution although it wasn't painless, it did get my son's pc up and surfing the net. Had to reformat the hard drive and reinstall windows xp. XP detected the modem and all other hdw and we were off and running. albeit a bit lighter (programs removed and data lost due to the reformat). Thanks again for all your help. Ray

Yep a format and reload is always the last resort. It's just a shame that the makers of the OS couldn't resolve your issues without resorting to a reload and have you lose your data in the process.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom