Spare Parts, New computer For Linux/Programming Niib

We're just giving you a hard time.

I'll be straight up with you, looking for handouts on a forum usually won't ever happen. I used to be real nice and give reputable members pieces of hardware if they were hard for money or young or something because I've been there but appreciation levels just aren't there. So in that case, I stopped. To other people, you just come off as a mooch even if you aren't trying to.

Seriously though, got some good answers here. CL is your best bet. I live a good hour or so away from some people but sometimes it's worth it.

You can also try hitting up any medium-sized businesses and asking to speak to their IT dept. They'll always have stacks of old hardware, most of which is likely just waiting for the hdds to be wiped or destroyed before throwing away the rest. If you're nice and tell them you're looking for any old junker just to get some computer/nix/programming experience, they'll likely help you out for free. I know we do it all the time at my company - mainly get charities asking i.e computers for the homeless (don't ask me how that works :p)

^ Dont' go to schools though. We aren't allowed to give away anything. At all :tongue:

Back
Top Bottom