Upgrading pc

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oh boy that does not sound good, are you fairly certain it may have trouble? Or do you think its more of a slight possibility?

Lets say there is an issue with it running at full power, would using this card still be better than the previous one?

And thank you for your reply heister and those that had recommendations earlier, its good to know people will help out complete strangers build up their PCs with out asking anything in return.

You know what I may regret this but say I got a new mobo. Newegg.com - ASUS M4A87TD EVO AM3 AMD 870 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX AMD Motherboard
For the price and constant appearances in threads here that seems very appealing. What else would I need to replace if i changed the mobo to AMD?

im just saying its a possibility if you use a newer gpu with your old mobo, its unlikely but its possible

you shouldn't have an issue running that card you ordered as far as compatibility goes. you would just have to make sure your motherboard has a x16 slot, which it does, so it should run without issues.

You know what I may regret this but say I got a new mobo. Newegg.com - ASUS M4A87TD EVO AM3 AMD 870 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX AMD Motherboard
For the price and constant appearances in threads here that seems very appealing. What else would I need to replace if i changed the mobo to AMD?

if you were to get this board, the minimum you would need to replace is your cpu (since it's a different socket), ram (since it requires ddr3), and case (since your current case only supports m-atx boards).

things that you could reuse;

that board, like many modern boards now, only supports 2 ide (pata) drives. i know in a previous post, you mentioned you have 2 hdd's and an optical drive, being 3 total, so you're gonna have a problem if they're all ide. if they're sata drives then you'll be good.

your psu (maybe). from what i can find i think your current pc only has a 305w psu. if you really just could not afford a new psu, you might be able reuse it, but personally, i wouldn't risk using that crap to run some brand new parts.

and your gfx card, whether you use the one that came with your pc or the new one you bought, they're both pci-e x16 so either would work.

Thanks for all the info bro, I think I'll probably just change the case for now and maybe get a new psu if I can find a decent one at about < 100.

Thanks for all the info bro, I think I'll probably just change the case for now and maybe get a new psu if I can find a decent one at about < 100.

no problem.

for less than 100 (im assuming dollars), you'll definitely be able to find a good psu.

you wouldn't even need a $100 psu, one like the one Trotter suggested above would do.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom