Can I force Windows to NOT use the Generic PnP driver?

Status
Not open for further replies.

hydnwtkns

Beta member
I have a Lenovo Ideapad Y650 running Windows 7. I currently have it connected to an Envision L19w698 LCD TV. VGA works fine. However, I want to use HDMI. HDMI is very blurry and only allows me to use 1024 x 768 (1440 x 900 creates overscan). I have the driver on my computer for the Envision monitor, but whenever i try to tell Windows to update the driver, it tells me Generic Pnp is the best choice. What should I do?

Also, for future reference, please do not bump your topic unless at least 24hours has passed. We all have lives too, and we can't all always be on here to answer questions; it was only about a 2 hour gap...

I would check the Lenovo home site and see if you can get a driver for it from there, and install it.

I have all the updated lenovo drivers. The problem i am having is with the monitor driver. Windows believes that the Generic PnP monitor driver is better than the Envision driver.

Have you tried uninstalling the driver Windows installs by default, rebooting, and seeing if you can cancel the PnP install it gives? When you try to install the one from lenovo, does it just give you the message that the current driver installed is better?

Have you tried uninstalling the driver Windows installs by default, rebooting, and seeing if you can cancel the PnP install it gives? When you try to install the one from lenovo, does it just give you the message that the current driver installed is better?

Problem Solved!

Glad you got it working. Was it what I suggested, or something else? Just so if somebody has the same question, they can look and find the solution ;).

I uninstalled the driver via the Device Manager, rebooted my computer and pointed the computer to the driver when it asked me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom