Buying A New PC, I Have Questions & Need Help

Status
Not open for further replies.

canigetsomehelp

Beta member
Alright I'm finally going to buy a new computer, and I need your help. My current computer is a Windows ME, Intel Pentium III, 1 GHZ, 100 FSB, 128 MB RAM, 512 MB, 100 MHz, 40GB. It's safe to say its run its course. Alas I'm not sure what to look for in a new computer. Dual-core, quad-core? AMD? Windows 7? I have no clue. Money wise I'm willing to shell out about $400 or less. But I don't really know what I'm looking for. I'm not a gamer and would just use it for internet, CD burning, DVD burning. Hopefully their is something fast with a large hard drive and memory in my range. When I buy a new computer will my internet speed be faster, downloads faster? What else would be different? I already have a cable modem, but I think because of my old computer it's running a lot slower then it normally would. I hope someone actually read this and is willing to help, and if you are thank you.

Well you can start here if you are familiar with hardware Newegg.com - Computer Parts, PC Components, Laptop Computers, Digital Cameras and more! and know how to put it all together.

You could get a barebones systems and then added the extra needed parts.

For $400 if you look hard enough, you can get just want you are asking for. Find a nice but cheapo case and put the $$ in the Processor, Ram, and Power Supply and a decent Hard Drive.

Buying a new computer wont make the internet faster but it may seem like it with a new system. Your ISP speed is the same speed no matter what computer you are one, the same with the downloading.

You could even save some $$ if you reuse say the case on your old system and possibly other parts.

I'm sure someone here can put ya one together on NewEgg when they see this.

You're long over due for a new computer. You may have been experiencing slower internet surfing speeds due to your old computer; Your computer can barely handle today's apps and programs. But as for download speed (downloading a song for example), it will not change because that relies solely on your ISP.

This could be an oppurtunity for you to experiment building your own PC!!! $400 is not a lot to work with, but you could build something quite decent especially if you can recycle your previous monitor, and various input/output devices.

Here's an example of the main parts you'd need to build your own computer.

Motherboard with integrated graphics
Newegg.com - ECS Black Series A785GM-M AM3 AMD 785G HDMI Micro ATX AMD Motherboard - AMD Motherboards

Quad core cpu
Newegg.com - AMD Athlon II X4 620 Propus 2.6GHz 4 x 512KB L2 Cache Socket AM3 95W Quad-Core Processor - Processors - Desktops

4gb Ram
Newegg.com - G.SKILL 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model F2-6400CL5D-4GBPQ - Desktop Memory

Antec Power supply
Newegg.com - Antec earthwatts EA380 380W Continuous Power ATX12V v2.0 80 PLUS Certified Active PFC Power Supply - Power Supplies

Western Digital 640GB Hard drive
Newegg.com - Western Digital Caviar Black WD6401AALS 640GB 7200 RPM 32MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive - Internal Hard Drives

These parts are just a guide. These parts total $363.96

Pick out a cheap Case, and you may come just under your budget.

The Dell Online Store: Build Your System

My System Details

Genuine Windows Vista® Home Basic, Service Pack 1
Intel® Core™ 2 Duo E7500 (2.93GHz, 3M, L2Cache, 1066FSB)
Dell 20 inch Widescreen E2010H Analog Flat Panel Display

1 Year Basic Limited Warranty and 1 Year NBD On-Site Service
3GB DDR2 SDRAM 800MHZ - 1x2GB 1x1GB
Single Drive: 16X (DVD+/-RW) Burner Drive
250GB Serial ATA Hard Drive (7200RPM) w/DataBurst Cacheâ„¢
Integrated Video, Intel® GMA X4500HD
No Pre-installed Productivity Software
Norton Internet Securityâ„¢ 2009 30 Day Trial
No Modem Option
No Media Reader
Integrated 5.1 Channel Audio
Dell USB Keyboard and Dell USB Optical Mouse
No speakers (Speakers are required to hear audio from your system)

Service

Adobe Acrobat Reader
Resource CD and DVD

My Services & Warranties

No Onsite System Setup
Vostro System Quick Reference Guide

Also Included

Vostro 220 Mini-Tower
Mouse included in Bluetooth selection
Vostro 220 Documents and 110 Volt Power setting
Vista Basic Sticker
Windows 7 Upgrade Web Site
Intergrated PCIE 10/100/1000
$408 ($748 - $338 savings)

Dell Small Business (put your name in as the business name)

If you upgrade from Vista Home basic you will be eligible for a free Win7 upgrade (details here).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom