Building a computer-Could Use some help.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hmm. Well does someone think they can set up a decent gaming computer with minimum lag for around $600?
I already have the graphics card. Just need everything else :p

Hmm.
What are the differences from the AMD and the nForce motherboards?
And the AMD and Intel processors?
Pros / Cons of each for gaming?
Trying to make sure I won't spend money on something I wouldn't want.
Also, I saw the power supplies that you linked baron, and I was thinking about using the pc cooling one, but it had some bad reviews, so do you or thresh have another suggestion for a power supply?

Hmm.
Trying to make sure I won't spend money on something I wouldn't want.
Also, I saw the power supplies that you linked baron, and I was thinking about using the pc cooling one, but it had some bad reviews, so do you or thresh have another suggestion for a power supply?

nForce mobos tend to have more problems, but not always. You need one if you want to go SLI, unless you were getting an i7 chip because the X58 chipset supports SLI and crossfire

Intel is the leader in processors right now but on the low/mid end AMD is a strong competitor.

The e8500 is a great cpu for gaming. The core 2 duo series is a very good architecture. Its what brought intel back on top. For AMD, a good gaming cpu is the x3 720. They are starting to make a comeback but they still have a long ways to go as the i7 whoops everything AMD has to offer. You are asking very general questions so its hard to give you a good answer as each cpu is different.

PC Power & Cooling is the best PSU maker around. Don't bother with newegg reviews. Most of the people on there don't know what they are talking about. You can't go wrong with PC P&C trust me.

Here is something to look over about PSUs. Notice in where he does the simple version of the best to worst, PC P&C is second. I don't know where to get Super Micro PSUs so PC P&C is your best bet.

EDIT: Forgot to put in my link http://www.techist.com/forums/f76/read-first-updated-power-supply-guide-137927/

nick0530 said:
Nvidia boards used to be the stuff, but not anymore. Nvidia succeeded in ticking off Intel so they sht them out. AMD bought ATI and now make their own chipsets, outperforming Nvidia's offerings.

As Pinscher said, Intel holds the performance crown right now, but AMD is gunning for the mid to low end. The 720 is an awesome mid-range chip. From the benchies I have seen, a dual core works fine for gaming, a tri-core adds a little bit, but the fourth core really doesn't. A fourth core only shines when you are doing something like encoding, and even there a tri does a fine job. Plus, it has a really sweet bang-for-your-buck price on it. Several here have that CPU and love it.

Same goes for that Biostar board. The 790GX is a great northbridge chip, able to overclock like nobody's business. hikaricloud is gonna start a cult up over I think. :p

You're right about the ram.
But I wanted an external HDD, almost positive I don't need a normal and external.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom