Please help with core i7 build

Status
Not open for further replies.
^ Agreed, you also don't need those Dominators, they are way overpriced. Stick with these:
Newegg.com - OCZ Platinum 6GB (3 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Triple Channel Kit Desktop Memory - Desktop Memory
You'll get the same peformance out of those, actually even better because they have lower timings.

This psu can save you some money:
Newegg.com - CORSAIR CMPSU-850TX 850W ATX12V 2.2 / EPS12V 2.91 SLI Ready CrossFire Ready Active PFC Power Supply - Power Supplies
It will have plenty of power for your system. And is actually better quality, because of it's single 12v rail. The Thermaltake has 4 12v rails, less rails the better.

Spigen -
Yea I noticed that it came with a red led on the fan. I prefer blue personally, and thought that perhaps it would look alright with a mix of colors. Seen a few cases on youtube that look interesting with multiple colors. And I did consider, and probably will spray paint the interior of the case. Thanks for the instructions on how to do so, as spray painting in general is not something I am too knowledgeable about.

Meat_helmet-
Thanks for the advice on the gtx285. After further thought and based on my gaming "needs", I probably will go that route. I had considered the 295 in hopes that it would further "future-proof" (term used lightly) my system.

GT7- Thanks for the advice on the memory and PSU. I will make the changes and post up a "final" build. BTW, do you ever sleep?

A few final questions:
Is the mobo I selected suitable? Would anyone recommend a different one? Is my DELL monitor (22" 1680x1050 2 ms response) sufficient for gaming? I've noticed some stuttering (Playing CS Source) from it but thought that it might be from my old, underpowered ATI card. Also, as far as my PSU and wiring are concerned, is there a limit to the number of cold cathodes I can put in my case?

Also, I had thought about going the SSD route, but think I will hold off until the technology advances, and comes down in price.
Thx all for you input,
-Pure

Here is what I have so far. Made changes with the updates that were recommended. Feel free to offer any Input/Changes.

Case: Cooler Master HAF 932 Going to check price at Frys before I buy from New Egg
CPU: Newegg.com - Intel Core i7 920 Nehalem 2.66GHz 4 x 256KB L2 Cache 8MB L3 Cache LGA 1366 130W Quad-Core Processor - Processors - Desktops
Motherboard: Newegg.com - BIOSTAR TpowerX58 LGA 1366 Intel X58 ATX Intel Motherboard - Intel Motherboards
GPU: Newegg.com - EVGA 017-P3-1291-AR GeForce GTX 295 1792MB 896 (448 x 2)-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Supported Video Card - Desktop Graphics / Video Cards
CPU Cooler: Newegg.com - Sunbeam CR-CCTF 120mm "Core Contact Freezer" CPU Cooler - CPU Fans & Heatsinks
Newegg.com - Sunbeam CR-LGA1366 LGA 1366 Core I7 Retention Bracket - CPU Fans & Heatsinks
RAM: Newegg.com - OCZ Platinum 6GB (3 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Triple Channel Kit Desktop Memory - Desktop Memory
HDD: Newegg.com - Western Digital Caviar Black WD1001FALS 1TB 7200 RPM 32MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive - Internal Hard Drives
DVD: Newegg.com - SAMSUNG Black 22X DVD+R 8X DVD+RW 16X DVD+R DL 22X DVD-R 6X DVD-RW 12X DVD-RAM 16X DVD-ROM 48X CD-R 32X CD-RW 48X CD-ROM 2MB Cache SATA 22X DVD Burner - CD / DVD Burners
PSU: Newegg.com - CORSAIR CMPSU-850TX 850W ATX12V 2.2 / EPS12V 2.91 SLI Ready CrossFire Ready Active PFC Power Supply - Power Supplies
NVIDIA QUAD-SLI APPROVED 80 PLUS Certified Modular Active PFC Power Supply - Power Supplies

Cold Cathode (hold the laughter please):
Newegg.com - LOGISYS Computer CLK12BL 12" Cold Cathode kit - Case Accessories

Hey All,
Just wanted to post an update. I bought the HAF 932 case the other day at Fry's. I haven't been able to unbox it yet as I have been busy with work. They had one on display at Fry's and its simply huge. The price was $10 cheaper than the price advertised at Newegg. Also, I wanted to pick it up myself to avoid possible shipping damages that I have heard some people have encountered. I think I am going to enjoy working with it.
Now, I do still have some questions in regards to GPUs. I was initially thinking of going with one GTX 285 card, and possibly buying another in the future for SLI if needed. After reading a review on cards on Anandtech, I simply don't know what I want to do. From what I gathered(and I could be wrong), it seemed that an SLI setup with the 285 was significantly better than only one 285. Is that correct? Perhaps I should go with an SLI setup right off the bat, since this is a going to be a new build. Also, I havent totally ruled out the GTX 295. From what I have read, it appears that a 285 SLI setup is superior to one 295 card. Yes, the 295 is probably overkill for my current monitor, but I may upgrade that in the future as well. I guess I'm just looking for further input and insight about what you guys recommend as far as video cards are concerned. As was previously stated, I would still like to stick with the Nvidia route. Also, with all the different brands of cards there are out there, what do you guys recommend. EVGA? Asus? MSI?

A note to the admins/moderators:
When I do get to the point of assembling my system, I am sure that I will have lots of questions as this will be my first build. Is it appropriate to post those here, or should I start a new thread with those questions? I just want to follow the rules and not irritate anybody.
Thanks,
-Pure

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom