Buying fully built computer...

Status
Not open for further replies.

95BlackGA

Fully Optimized
Looking at buying a computer as a Christmas present. I have a $500 budget. I have found a few refurbished computers, that boast AMD Dual cores, 2GB RAM, 320GB drives, and no OS. What are some you all would suggest?

do you need mouse/keyboard/monitor/ etc?
if so, a prebuilt will be your best bet. if you (or the person you are building for) has those things, no problem with the 500 budget.

do you need mouse/keyboard/monitor/ etc?
if so, a prebuilt will be your best bet. if you (or the person you are building for) has those things, no problem with the 500 budget.

I have everything, just need the computer. I was thinking about just getting a EEE Box, but the integrated video with DVI scares me a little, as the monitor that I would use is an Acer AL1916W which only has VGA input. I'm not sure what type of signal it is. This would be a great buy, because of the ease of use, and my mother isn't very computer literate.

The eee box has a DVI output alright but a simple adaptor will sort that out, and they must cost about... $3?
If you need performance go down the line of building it yourself as you'll get more "bang for your buck". Otherwise the eee Box is neat, tidy and efficent. Dell Studio pc's would suit you too but not sure about the price of them

wow, okay. I say get this.
Newegg.com - Antec Three Hundred Black Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case - Computer Cases
and do the combo deal with the power supply.
Newegg.com - Open Box: BIOSTAR TForce TP45HP LGA 775 Intel P45 ATX Intel Motherboard
Newegg.com - CORSAIR XMS2 DHX 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory - Desktop Memory
Newegg.com - Intel Pentium E5200 Wolfdale 2.5GHz 2MB L2 Cache LGA 775 65W Dual-Core Processor - Processors - Desktops
Newegg.com - SAPPHIRE 100245L Radeon HD 4850 512MB 256-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFire Supported Video Card - Desktop Graphics / Video Cards
That is pretty much 500 after rebates. A little less. Yeah, I slacked a little on the cpu but just over clock it.

If you don't game a lot your can easily get a 8800gs/9600gso for like 60 that will work just fine for the moderate gamer.

Also, I you might want to throw in a decent cpu cooler if you got the loot. But that will woop kill any most amds and anything for 500 that is prebuilt will get stomped.
If you do want to build yourself I suggest you do it soon, because half of those deals won't last long.

Newegg.com - Antec Three Hundred Black Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case - Computer Cases
Newegg.com - Open Box: BIOSTAR TForce TP45HP LGA 775 Intel P45 ATX Intel Motherboard
Newegg.com - CORSAIR XMS2 DHX 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory - Desktop Memory
Newegg.com - Intel Pentium E5200 Wolfdale 2.5GHz 2MB L2 Cache LGA 775 65W Dual-Core Processor - Processors - Desktops
Newegg.com - SAPPHIRE 100245L Radeon HD 4850 512MB 256-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFire Supported Video Card - Desktop Graphics / Video Cards
That is pretty much 500 after rebates. A little less. Yeah, I slacked a little on the cpu but just over clock it.

If you don't game a lot your can easily get a 8800gs/9600gso for like 60 that will work just fine for the moderate gamer.

Also, I you might want to throw in a decent cpu cooler if you got the loot. But that will woop kill any most amds and anything for 500 that is prebuilt will get stomped.
If you do want to build yourself I suggest you do it soon, because half of those deals won't last long.

Um... do you notice anything missing here?

Hard drive? DVD Drive? OS? And no, 9600GSOs aren't 60 bucks. Also, that motherboard is Open Box, when he'd need the extras.

ok will fix, one sec. Forgot the hard drive and os well put just find a old xp pc you don't use anymore and get the key off that. I will update links once I finish my tests.

PLEASE, PLEASE read before posting. This is for my mother, that isn't very computer literate. Why would she need such a build? She mainly surfs the net, and plays games off of Yahoo. I thought the refurbished computers were a bit overkill.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom