Motherboard Boots...With Power Off?!?

Status
Not open for further replies.

tjollimore

Solid State Member
A few months back, I started building a gaming rig for my brother. CM Stacker case with their 1000W power supply, an Asus Maximus Extreme board with a Quad-Core chip (6330, I think, the basic one), and a 3870x2 graphics card.

I put the stock heat sink and 1GB of the 4GBs I have for it in, powered it up and installed Vista to play with it for about a week. Everything worked fine. Then I took it apart to mod the case to accept a number of Scythe fans, a ThermalRight IFX-14 cooler, and two fan controllers. Then I ran out of time (I work for a living).

Now it's 2 months later, and I put the nearly completed rig back on my bench for testing and overclocking. When I plug the power supply into the wall, I notice that the LCD BIOS display lights up and starts going through it's paces. The power buttons start the rest of the system (fans, etc.), but it was late and I didn't have time to see if video came up... But I noticed the LCD display kept cycling through a loop with power turned OFF. I unplugged the Power Supply and will come back later to take a look at it.

Has anyone encountered this before? I can't see a mis-wired fan causing this...

Double check the wires for the case power buttons? It's kinda hard to understand what you're saying.

Quote "I notice that the LCD BIOS display lights up and starts going through it's paces."
"but it was late and I didn't have time to see if video came up"
"But I noticed the LCD display kept cycling through a loop with power turned OFF"

Those sentences are hard to understand and they seem to contradict each other..

If you're not familiar with the board... It has an external LCD unit that lights up and shows what phase of the POST process the system is going through.

So this is lit up and happily going through it's paces, yet the system is turned OFF. It's almost like the board is taking power from somewhere it shouldn't...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom