I need some input on this computer..

Status
Not open for further replies.

hdansjr

In Runtime
So my parents this weekend went to circuitcity and bought this computer package...
Buy the Compaq Presario Desktop PC (SR5050NX) and other Desktop Computers at circuitcity.com
I hope i'm allowed to post a link to that on here...
Anyways, their computer, which still had 98 on it died this past weekend. That shows how much they use it. They get online maybe once every two weeks to look-up stuff, and they play solitare, and they viewed pics of my 11 month odl son. Well, after their computer died, they "wanted a new computer" so they could do "more" stuff. Is this computer a decent computer? If not, why not? I know it's not a home built computer, but the people using it are both in their 60's and had a hard time using 98, so i'm wondering if Vista will be too much for them. I dont' know if i should try to get them to return it and try to get a computer with XP on it or not. Again, they wanted a "package" which they got, and they wanted something new, and that's about it. So any input would be great!

for what they do that computer will be fine. Sometimes it is best for them to get what they want not what is best. If they are happy let it roll. Wait untill they see the improved fps in solataire. ;-)

I would just make sure you clean the computer of all of the junk software and spyware that usually comes loaded on new computers like this, that will slow down performance and make it frustrating to use.

OH also, does this sound right....I went through the papers they got with the computer and there are no disks what-so-ever. Now, i haven't bought a computer in a LONG time, so i dont' know if that's normal. There are NO recovery disks at all. I went in and and the computer section "head associate" stated that Compaqs do not come with any disks anymore, that you have to make them yourselves. Is this normal? I'm still on the fence with this computer for some reason though. I mean, it's Vista. I read so much about how Vista isnt' the way to go yet.....

OH also, does this sound right....I went through the papers they got with the computer and there are no disks what-so-ever. Now, i haven't bought a computer in a LONG time, so i dont' know if that's normal. There are NO recovery disks at all. I went in and and the computer section "head associate" stated that Compaqs do not come with any disks anymore, that you have to make them yourselves. Is this normal? I'm still on the fence with this computer for some reason though. I mean, it's Vista. I read so much about how Vista isnt' the way to go yet.....

Actually, I believe this is the case with most new systems bought. I recently had to reinstall windows on my mothers Laptop she bought from dell, which did not come with a Windows CD. Dell had to ship me out a copy of it. It was free, but very inconveinent. If your purchase includes a licensed copy of an operating system, why they wouldn't give you it on a CD which costs about 10 cents is beyond me.

Simple reasoning really, most people will just assume they have to go buy a new copy of the OS which equals more $$ for Microsoft. I knwo here at work we pay an extra ten bucks a computer to get the restore discs for Dell laptops. IBM thinkpads on the other hand typically come with the proper discs by default and Macs just always have come with OS discs.

I'm just so on the fence with this. My parents had a hard time using 98, and now they have a Vista OS. I'm not sure, i dont mean to be puting them down but , i just don't think that they could easily navigate it. But, i've never had any experience with Vista. Thanks for the input...if anyone else has any input, i'd love to read it.

Vista is pretty easy to use, I'm sure they'll be fine. As far as the recovery disc goes, they stopped giving those out to discourage pirating and it does save them a little money. You will, however, have a program on the computer (usually called Recovery Disc Creator, or something similar) that will make you a set. It takes about 2 hours and 2 DVDs if I recall.

I just really didn't know about Vista...I mean all i read and heard was how it's not ready just yet. Maybe that was more geared towards the "power user" and not a 6o yr-old couple who surf the net and look at pics. Thanks for your input jorsoft....i'm leaning towards just setting the compaq up for them and letting them have at it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom