First RAID

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Napster

In Runtime
This is my first experience with raiding, ive never done it before and I am just wondering what i will need and how to do it.(also if I even can do it)

Im wanting to raid two western digital 160GB 7200rpm SATA 3.0gbs drives in RAID 0 with both drives acting as one. I have windows vista X64 Ulitmate and a DFI Infinity RS-482 motherboard with 3gigs of ram and an AMD X2 4400

Now I know i need Raid drivers, but which ones do i need, I looked on dfi's site and they have xp x64 drivers will these work with vista? and do i need to use a floppy drive to load them or can i use CD drive? Basically Im just wanting to know what the process of raiding two drives is. Thanx in advance.

You'll most likely need drivers specifically for the 64-bit Vista. Try asking DFI support.

In order to install the drivers before installation, you'll need to create a boot disk with either a floppy or a cd with the drivers loaded of them.

important note for a striped (raid 0) array. Both drives act as one larger drive. It is a bit faster but... if one of the 2 drives fail all data is lost. Not reccomended for critical data unless you have a very extensive daily backup process.

important note for a striped (raid 0) array. Both drives act as one larger drive. It is a bit faster but... if one of the 2 drives fail all data is lost. Not reccomended for critical data unless you have a very extensive daily backup process.

ya but thats a rare occasion where ur drive fails.... but backup for safety is highly recommended !!!

Yeah I kno its not the safest thing to do, but im doin it for speed. All I plan to have on the drive is my OS and the programs. I have 4 other drives I use as my storage and all my critical info is on those drives so if a drive fails it wont be too much of a problem.

Im going to call dfi and ask them about the drivers and then see where I can get from there

seriously... tho i have this 8 year old 19 gb hard drive, and to this day it still works and the system was found in the trash a while ago..... but its been on nonstop for the past 6 years (except when bsods happen) but still its a seagate...

Same here I have an old maxtor ive had since windows 98 forst came out, and its still my storage drive, I kno discs dont fail very often.

Now I have another question, Does anyone kno where i can find Vista x64 SATA raid drivers for a DFI Rs482? I havnt called dfi yet, if anyone knows then it will save me a phone call lol. I looked up how to raid so im pretty confident about the process now, all I need are those drivers..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom