Computer for university, opinion please

Status
Not open for further replies.
a desktop for college? are you sure?

i hope most of your studying will be done in your room... i came to college with the same mindset as you and built myself a pc. within 3 months i sold it and got a laptop... just dishing out some advice - laptops are far more versatile in this environment.

Yea Im serious a desktop. Im going into Architecture. So moreless of my studying is going to be like computer work.

The ASRock board are OK, you might end up with a bad power supply, being only $15.... The only thing is see bad about the specs is that it is only DDR400, right now the DDR2 667 sticks are going for very cheap, right now 1 GB sticks are around $50 or so, depending on who you're getting it from, whereas the DDR 400 are about double. As far as hard drives, that's fine, however seagate's have a 5 year warranty, however, the store you're getting this from seems to be selling off the warranties...

---if you do decide to go with DDR2 memory you'll need a board that will support DDR2. Soon enough DDR memory will be hard to find so if you plan on upgrading memory you might want to go ahead and get DDR2 instead.

The ASRock board are OK, you might end up with a bad power supply, being only $15.... The only thing is see bad about the specs is that it is only DDR400, right now the DDR2 667 sticks are going for very cheap, right now 1 GB sticks are around $50 or so, depending on who you're getting it from, whereas the DDR 400 are about double. As far as hard drives, that's fine, however seagate's have a 5 year warranty, however, the store you're getting this from seems to be selling off the warranties...

---if you do decide to go with DDR2 memory you'll need a board that will support DDR2. Soon enough DDR memory will be hard to find so if you plan on upgrading memory you might want to go ahead and get DDR2 instead.

Well Im not really planning on upgrading the system alot. I just need an affordable system that will last me a few years while I am in university. Only upgrading I'll probably do is the RAM, after a while of having the system. So I dont really care if its DDR or DDR2. Only reason I dont care for high end components is because my current computer (in my sig).
Would you (and any other member) advise on upgrading the power supply to like an Antec, CoolMaster, OCZ or a Thermaltake? and what do you mean that they seem to be seeling off the warranties?

Architecture eh? might you be using Auto Cad and such programs? if so forget this computer and just get a budget dual-core. Your gonna need at least 1gb to run the program and 2gigs to run it swiftly.

Ive been running Auto-Cad on a AMD K6 @ 367MHz processor for years and its been working fine for me (a bit of lag here and there)

oh wow really? i play around with auto cad on my comp (Sempron 2200+), takes like 10min to render a shiny page, ****es me off :p of course the new versions are more hard ware demanding.

Yeah man I'm not kidding. Like for the basic function. It works fine. 3D Home Architect works flawless on the K6. But it also depends on what add on's your using. When I am rendering, **** that takes a **** load of time. But like I said for general use it works fine for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom