Home Edition
Version 2002
Service Pack 2

Gateway
FX400
Intel (R)
Pentium (R) D CPU 2.80GHz
2.80 GHz, O.99 GB of RAM

Problem: My computer randomly shuts off on me while doing various tasks. I cleared all startup programs that weren't necesary and did a system restore to an earlier date. I also used last known good config when i restarted my computer. It worked for a day or so, but then started quitting on me. I'm now wondering if its something wrong w/ lack of RAM, or if I need a new hardrive or somethin. I find that it shuts down more when I have more than two programs running at once. Thing is that it never used to do this and it just started three days ago. Any ideas or suggestions? I'm completely oblivious with technical aspect of computers so any help is appreciate. If you need more info please tell me :D Thank you.

well might sound like a power supply failing but it can also be overheating. check what kinds of temperature u get in the BIOS and post back

How many processes are running on your computer? Press Control Alt Delete to find out. It will show Processes:# on the bottom left.

I downloaded a program that checks internal temperatures. The processor is at 65C, Mainboard is at 29C, GPU Diode is 73C, and Hard disk temp is 39C. Is this normal. The fans are running at close to 1k rpm. Do you have any advice on cooling the PC or is it even a factor? Could it be memory?

My guess is overheating, too. My laptop will do that if I run processor-intensive games, unless I have an additional cooling fan (I use the "Chill Mat" that plugs into USB and sits underneath and has two fans) running.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom