Trouble Shooting Comp Upgrade Part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Paul Bearer

Solid State Member
Originally I posted a thread
http://www.techist.com/showthread.php?threadid=139320&perpage=15&pagenumber=1

It delt with the hardware selection of a massive upgrade. As far as I know this computer was good old Windows XP SP 2. I went from an Athlon 64 to an Athlon 64 X2 along with a motherboard upgrade, power supply upgrade, and fan switch.

Now the next step is to repair windows. Unfortunately I'm in college and don't have access to my original cd's of windows. I tried using a few seperate Windows XP cd's from people on my dorm floor and after I hit the repair and it asks for my password, it ends up saying C:\Windows and that's it... it doesn't run any farther or anything, what should I do?

If it's asking for the admin password in the recovery console, hit enter. And you'll have to do a repair install, not using the recovery console.

Yes, you must press "enter" to "Install Windows XP". Then you will have an option to repair a current installation of XP by pressing R. The recovery console is a way to access files and change a few settings of an XP installation if you can not boot into it. The "Repair" option basically reinstalls the operating system, clearing up any problems.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom