Hmm....Internet working but disconnected?

Status
Not open for further replies.

See Plus Plus

Baseband Member
I set up my wireless router yesterday (D-Link) to my DSL and first I was having problems accessing the internet. I would try to connect to DSL and it would say something about that my connection request was not answered. So I called Support - the guy had me do a few things and it now works - so I think.

Internet access works, but why can't I sign onto DSL using my password? Usually I have something in my taskbar stating I am connected - now I do not but I can still use the internet. Also, when I look into my Network property - it says my Lan is enabled, but the wan is disconnected? I was just wondering if this is typical of installing wireless routers???

Also I now want to get an access point for my other home - is this going to require as much installation as the router - or is it one of those "Plug and Use" type of things? I just don't want to mess up the connection at the other home b/c 4 different computers are connected to it.

Finally, to anyone who is using the access point - which brand would you recommend?

Thanks in advance - all help is appreciated.

your connection most likely doesn't show in the system tray because the box isn't checked to enable it to be shown. right click on my network places and goto properties. then find the wireless connection icon and right click it and again, goto properties. the window should look like the picture. check the box at the bottom to show the icon in the "notification area" when connected.

as for the access point, i would recommend the Linksys WAP54G model. Easy to configure (almost as easy as out of the box) and it's a very reliable product for home users.

I checked and the box was checked off. I went to check today, and now my desktop internet doesn't work at all. My laptop works fine.

I tried everything to connect and it tells me that port 7896 did not respond to my request. I go to network settings, and all my Lan is enabled, but the wan is disconnect and refuses to connect. I do not know what I am doing wrong, I installed it according to the instructions. For the time being, I disconnected the wireless and changed my network settings back for DSL which currently works again.

What could possibly be the problem? Also, when the wireless connection was up, my laptop was telling me that a "network cable is unplugged" from the main connection - I checked everything in the modem/router and it is all connected.

Help please, I am about to dump that stupid router out the window.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom