Would this work? (diagram included)

Status
Not open for further replies.

balzak

Solid State Member
Basically just wondering if it is possible to run a router to wireless router connection. Would the following setup work?

8f168a67.gif

It has the itnernet come into the first router. From there it goes directly to one PC, and to another wireless router. Would the wireless router work? Thanks.

Yes, as long as you turn off DHCP on the wireless router. Also make sure that they are both not trying to use 192.168.1.1 as their IP address. Leave the router that has the internet connection as 192.168.1.1 (255.255.255.0) and change the wireless one to... say, 192.168.1.100 (255.255.255.0).

We have a similar setup in our house..... Inter comes into a wireless router, and I have a cable going to the POS 4 port Belkin wired router in my bedroom.... I live back at home, and I already had the wired router, and LOTS of cable, so I just did a wired connection.. plus, I would have had to buy a few wireless adaptors for my PC's, and my PS2, so Wired was the better bet.

im thinking you could prolly get waya with using a patch from a lan port on the wired to the wan port on the wireless.

otherwise a crossover connecting two lan port should work as well.

It won't work from LAN to WAN if you are connecting 2 home routers together, these are home router and are not made to connect routers to routers. What he's actually going to do is convert is wireless router into a switch or access point by just using the LAN part of the router. You'll probably have to use a crossover cable to connect the the LAN port of the router to the LAN port of the wireless router. Disable DHCP on the wireless router, change the wireless router IP address to be in the same network as the first router (I usually pick the last IP address 192.168.1.254 for example so that it wouldn't be in the DHCP range of the first router). Of course same subnet mask, the default gateway if ask will point to the first router address if it was 192.168.1.1

You can connect two home routers together with the WAN to WAN ports if there is a routing protocol and if you configure each WAN port an IP address in the same network. But of course you won't get internet because you used up the WAN port, you'll just have communication with each router in this scenarior instead of the top one where you convert the wireless router into a switch or access point.

Law said:
It won't work from LAN to WAN if you are connecting 2 home routers together, these are home router and are not made to connect routers to routers. What he's actually going to do is convert is wireless router into a switch or access point by just using the LAN part of the router.

using the cross from lan to lan should work. but then you lose an extra lan port.

http://forums.speedguide.net/showthread.php?t=84114

"You don't need a crossover cable. The WAN port of a router is an uplink port."

I've never done this myself with soho routers but in school they taught me that the WAN port crosses the transfer and receive streams just like a crossover cable does.

Re:

Hello,

Why have two routers?...

...Can't you eliminate the first wired router...and just have a wireless router (with an integrated switch) instead?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom