Wireless problems with a Netbook. Yet 2 days ago it was fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jayce

Fully Optimized
I'm troubleshooting an Averatec Netbook 10" N1000 Series.

Two days ago, wireless worked fine when using WPA TKIP security.

The more I used the netbook, the more I realized it had a serious problem with it, potentially a root kit or something.

I did a fresh install using the HDD recovery feature that it has built in, using Norton Ghost to recover a fresh image to the HDD. Now I'm setting it up all over again. All of the drivers have been included in the original image I just restored.

Yet... it doesn't pick up my wireless. It's as if my SSID isn't broadcasting, yet... it is... I didn't make any network changes for a few weeks now... so I have no idea why the Netbook doesn't work wirelessly. Right now I have it plugged into a 10/100 switch off of my router, and it works great! I just can't get wireless...

K, this was partially my mistake... Normally where I'd say nothing and pretend I'm smart, I'd rather post my findings in case anybody else can benefit from this in the future.

On this laptop, F11 and F12 keys serve as function keys (Fn key + F11 or F12)

F11 = Wireless on/off
F12 = Hibernation

Well, these keys are so fricken small I must have accidentally hit F12 when I hit F11. Cause last night when I tried this, it went to sleep when I hit F11. I was like WHAAAAT?? Turns out, I must have hit F12. Once I hit F11, I saw an icon pop up and disappear. Then I refreshed network devices and bam - my network was listed.

The reason I figured this out was I have a Dell Precision M4300 laptop for work. I turned off my wireless switch and found my Dell was acting 100% like the netbook. I turned on the wireless switch and bam, my network showed up. Seeing my work laptop (which I know works) act like the netbook, I figured something was up. Sure enough, when you hit F11 just right and don't accidentally bump F12, good things happen.

Case Closed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom