Wireless Networking Woes

Status
Not open for further replies.

gtwill040

Baseband Member
I have a Belkin ADSL Modem with Wireless-G Router (f5d7632-4).

I have 3 desktops connected it to it wired. Another 1 will be connected later on.

I have linksys wpc11 v4 wireless card in my laptop.

Problem.

I can search the available networks and select mine but instead of getting the Assigned by dhcp ip addresses. I get a automatic private address which doesnt allow me to connect to the internet.

I turned of WEP and still cant get online, i have now turned it back online. I gave it a static ip of 192.168.8.3 the gateway and dns is 192.168.8.1 which allows me to connect to the internet but takes forever to load pages.

so what i need is for it to get the settings from the dhcp.

I did have a ethernet card that i put in the laptop that worked but i really need for the lappy to be wireless.

I did use the wlan monitor (linksys program) which wasnt making no difference and now i'm just using xp's client.

Linksys live support chat was of no help.

Any help would be gratefully appreciated.

Check the router DHCP feature so see how many IP address can be lease, maybe it's only 3 IP, so the fourth one would have to be given a static IP out of the DHCP range.

Change the DNS address to the ISP DNS instead of the router. This will help speed things up. You can probably find the information in the WAN Status section of your router, look for it, I don't know exactly where it is.

My dhcp is set 192.168.8.6-192.168.8.20 so i have enough there.

Static ip works fine and fast but i really would prefer to not have give a static ip.

I installed Service pack 2, i get the limited or no connectivity error. I havent removed any firewall or anti-virus that may change the tcp/ip settings.

Maybe its just the linksys card or i'm missing a protocol because my neighbour came round with his laptop and he connected to my network without the limited or no connectivity error and got assigned a dynamic ip no prob.

Surfed the net and everything

I thought it was tcp/ip corruption aswel. I already tried it via searching google but it didnt back up the registry and it didnt make a difference either

Well it's not the router's fault I would assume, might be some setting on the wireless card. Check device manager/wireless adaptor properties. Any settings? list them if you could.

Under the advance tab

Channel -> set to 11
Network Address
Network Type -> set to infastructure
Power save mode
ssid -> same as router

Driver version is: 5.158.1001.2003
Driver date: 01/10/2003

I'm puzzle just like you are; I thought winsockxp would have fixed this issue. I still think the TCP/IP protocol is corrupted so we'll have to fix it manually.

Go to control panel/administrative tools/services and make sure DHCP client is enable and started.

Before starting, make sure you backup all 5 of your registry hives first, type regedit in run, a registry editor opens up, highlight each one and click File-Export and give it the exact name to save it as. Once you have exported all the registry hives move on to the bottom.

Open up command prompt and enter netsh int ip reset c:\resetlog.txt

This will reset the TCP/IP parameters in the registry back to the early beginning when it works. It will also save a log file to the root directory call resetlog.txt

YouÂ’ll have to restart your computer. If you experience any connectivity problems with application like firewalls, anti-virus, and other software, then just reinstall them.

Ok i found out its nothing to do with the laptop itself, its the card.

My neighbour came round with his laptop and gave me a usb wifi adapter which worked fine.
He tried the wpc11v4 card in his laptop and he had the same issue.

So it is the card because he has onboard wifi on his laptop which connects flawlessly.

When i had both the usb wifi adapter and the card at the same time the card got assigned from the dhcp. when i removed the usb adapter and left the card i, disconnected and reconnected - limited or no connectivity.

weird

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom