WIndows 7 and Reader

Status
Not open for further replies.

sifrid

Beta member
I have W7 on my PC. I'm just starting to get (as of today) messages saying the my version of Reader is incompatible with W7.

W7 site has no advice and says to go to Adobe site. Adobe appears to says buy a "support contract," before anyone will help you (and there's no guarantee there will be a final solution).

Is there any workaround or third party apps to fix this? Not being able to read pdf files in W7 is pretty stupid (on BOTH MS and Adobe's sides!).

There is no issue on my Adobe Reader at all. Plus there is more than just Adobe that will allow you to read PDF Files. All it would take is a Google Search, Bing Search or any type of search to realize that.

Plus if you knew, Adobe owned the PDF file format for the longest time. Meaning that they were the only ones who could make programs to work with it. It wasn't until recently that PDF Files became open source and anyone could develop Apps for them. It was in July of 2008. At that time Microsoft was already in the mist of their Beta Testing and released Windows 7 less than 1 year after PDF became an ISO standard. By the time PDF became part of the ISO Standard it was to late to incorporate it into the OS as they were already done with the work of additions and working on the process of fixing the bugs for final release. The PDF Standard was not needed at the time of Windows 7 release and therefor not included to have a PDF Reader. It will be in Windows 8 as the format has taken on more of a personal use format than strictly business use as it was previously.

So I really wouldnt go placing the blame on anyone. As the evidence would show that Microsoft is doing their part to incorporate a fairly new ISO standard into their OS. It is right on track to be included in the next OS being developed after the format became standard. Windows 7 was already developed, so Windows 8 would be when it would be included, which it is.

Adobe doesnt want you to get help or help you. They are pay per use software and they want their money.

So anyways, there is no issue with Adobe Reader for me. Must be a bad install for you. Uninstall and download the latest version or try an alternative. There are plenty out there.

Do you have the latest version of Adobe Reader? 10.1.2

Do you get any error? If so, what? Should have an error number.

I have used Foxit Reader in the past.

I have since discovered what Adobe is calling Adobe X. (in some places it refers to it as Adobe 10). I was able to download and install it from the Adobe site, and now everything works.

You would think that Adobe would highlight this solution a bit more. :doh:

Yeah I do like that Win8 has a PDF reader built-in (even if the UI is blatantly designed for touchscreen-only).

Should be able to turn back on your Adobe updater after installation and things should line themselves out... I have users running windows 7 with adobe 9 and X... (Users complained of the GUI changes with X, so reverted back to 9 for some more finicky users)...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom