why is chrome so slow?

bigdan

Daemon Poster
When I have too many tabs open Chrome functions wayyy too slow on my computer. I've done some research into it and I see that apparently each tab counts as a separate 'process' or something in Task Manager, and that's why it uses up so much RAM. Fine.

Now I read in an article that if you add "-process-per-site" in Chrome / Right-Click / Properties then you can make all the tabs take up one process in Task Manager, thereby reducing the RAM demand. I did that but not sure if its working. Is there a way of testing?

When I launched Chrome it opened an active tab (something I was already on) a blank tab, and some kind of tab with random crap on it. I think this was prolly because of the "-process-per-site" that I added. The funny thing is when I went to Task Manager, rather than showing Chrome in there once, or three times (once per process), there were like 15 entries. Why would this be??

Thanks
Dan

Right click the Tab bar at the top -> Task Manager
It shows what each Chrome process is (tabs, extensions, plugins, etc.).

Regardless of doing the command, you can't expect it to magically just take less resources when you lump them together. If you don't have enough RAM or processor you'll need to close some tabs out.

Each Browser tab, whether its Google chrome, Internet explorer, Firefox all count as a new process. Add more RAM or only open a few tabs.

Right click the Tab bar at the top -> Task Manager
It shows what each Chrome process is (tabs, extensions, plugins, etc.).

Thanks for this.

Would this tell me if the "-process-per-site" command was activated? How would I know?

Back
Top Bottom