What causes this?

Status
Not open for further replies.

joelm3103

Fully Optimized
Just wondering, normally when you view a website and you view a specific image; it opens in the same browser showing you the image only (for example, you searched an image on google images and you found 1...when you open it, it shows the image only).

There have been some websites however, in order to view the image, you have to download it. Why? What causes it to prompt a download dialog instead of showing it in the browser?

For example http://www.experts-exchange.com/images/216215/site-to-site-vpn-hardware.gif

Some sites may have it setup so that the images are protected from people trying to link to them. So they only offer them as downloads to prevent the bandwidth from being stolen and used on other sites.

Some sites may have it setup so that the images are protected from people trying to link to them. So they only offer them as downloads to prevent the bandwidth from being stolen and used on other sites.
Ohhh :stare:. Didn't know/never thought about that. Thanks for the info, it's a lot clearer now. Always thought it was my browser or something on my side :cute:.
I think it has something with MIME MEdia Types. Try check that.

Not exactly sure what that has to do with the question I asked, but thanks for the input anyways :). I think that website only shows the extensions used for images, I could be wrong though.

It isnt something on your end as i got the same thing. I know that site and it is a highly used site and a pay per use site as well. For people to get help they have to pay for it. So what they do is prevent spiders from indexing all the info on some pages so that you have to sign up, pay for a subscription to see the result. Along with that if you try to hotlink to one of their images you get a "dont steal our bandwidth" image instead.

It could just be that the search result let it to the actual file on the server which is why you get the download link instead of the image itself.

It isnt something on your end as i got the same thing. I know that site and it is a highly used site and a pay per use site as well. For people to get help they have to pay for it. So what they do is prevent spiders from indexing all the info on some pages so that you have to sign up, pay for a subscription to see the result. Along with that if you try to hotlink to one of their images you get a "dont steal our bandwidth" image instead.

It could just be that the search result let it to the actual file on the server which is why you get the download link instead of the image itself.
That makes a lot of sense and yeah I saw the "Don't steal our bandwidth" images already, didn't really know what they meant by stealing but now I do :D.

PS: Oh and thanks for the help on the add-ons thread
good3.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom