Visual Search Engines

Status
Not open for further replies.

JasonGreen

Beta member
Hello all,
For a university assignment I have decided to do some research on visual search engines and the advantages and disadvantages they have over standard textual search engines.
It would be great to get peoples opinions on the various features being implemented in both visual and non-visual search engines, how these helped or failed to help you and any personal techniques that anybody has developed to make searching easier using either type of search.
Also, if you have a preference and good reason for it, I would like to hear that to. For those who haven't used a visual search engine there is a decent one at www.kartoo.com (don't know where these names come from). And probably the most popular text based search engine is google which has a whole host of features that some peopke may not know about.
So, to summarize I am interested in the debate between visual and non visual methods of searching, and also peoples personal techniques or trick or favourite features of search engines which makes their searching life easier.
Anything that I use from this discussion will of course be properly referenced, but it iis not intended to be published at this point anyway.

Thankyou for your input,
Jason Green, Ba Design Computing, University of Sydney

From the site you provided, it just feels way to confusing to navigate visually and wastes time. When I want to search i want my results asap, this visual stuff keeps me clicking and clicking...

Yeah, I see what you mean. Maybe there are certain things that the different search engines do better. Most of the time when people are searching, they don't really know specifically what they are looking for, google seems great for this, for one thing because of how fast it is. I might think about that some more, in the mean time here is another visual search engine. And some comments made about it which I will reference in a second.
Download it at
http://www.groxis.com/service/grok/g_downloads.html?id=HNgdT7Nk

"Pros:
- Breaks searching down into visual topical categories
- Allows you to save searches (called saved maps)
- Also searches your computer for documents and files
- Filter searches by domain or source
- Navigation is done via the program and not by clicking on webpage links

Cons:
- Search time is 5-10X greater than any regular text-based search engine
- The categories are not specific enough and the information requires too much time to process
- DoesnÂ’t have a toolbar and thus is not integrated into my regular web usage
- Requires start-up as a separate program (again not part of my regular usage)
- The interface if confusing and non-trivial"
The above comments were from http://zawthet.typepad.com/nouveau/2004/02/visual_search_e.html

Anyway, be back soon

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom