VHS -> PC. TV tuner card?

Most people don't keep VCRs anymore. I've actually stripped all of mine for parts.

Exactly. Because the things they like are on DVD, or now Blu-Ray. Or because they couldn't afford a new VHS system. :)

I have a VHS recorder at home. I have some old High School stuff on VHS that I converted to AVIs earlier this year. I used a generic capture card instead of a TV card for mine. Had to think about it, but my capture card is this one: Newegg.com - KWORLD PlusTV Analog Lite PCI TV Tuner Capture Card w/ Remote PVR-TV 7134SE PCI Interface (no longer available at Newegg though)

Hmm.

Well, other then the possibility of old-school copy protection, does the card I linked to above stand a good chance of working like I imagine?

Normally, if you want to record them to DVDs, I'd suggest you to play your tapes, and record them to your PC, then burn them to a DVD. Make sure you have a decent quality recording though.
There is only a switch on the blank VHS tapes. Anything with a movie won't have one.

Actually, for blank VHS tapes, you need to break the plastic tip in the front, and to write over movies (which I don't see why you would do that), you will need to put a piece of scotch tape in front of the hole at the front of the tape.

To clarify, you break the tab that lhuser mentions to make the tape unable to be recorded to again. Put the tape across the hole to make it possible to record to the tape again.

Wilty: capture cards are awesome to have, you just never know when you'll need one - worst case, it doesn't work. But there's a strong chance that it WILL work. I'd give it a shot.

Yeah, I ordered it earlier today. Hopefully it'll arrive the same day as the rest of the parts, I can throw it all together and get cracking. Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom