Using multiple home network routers

wordizbon

Beta member
I have 3 routers connected due to the different locations of my computers. 1 of those being from my ISP. I have 2 servers on these networks 2 laptops, and two desktops.

Anyway for some reason, one of my servers (Windows 2000) and my desktop (Windows 7) both on the same router which is just being used as a switch, DHCP disabled have a communication issue. When they both traceroute, they go external of my network through the isp just to come back and find one another.

I don't have this problem with any other machine. I have a laptop and a server (Windows 2003) on my other router which has DHCP enabled. When i traceroute to either one of the other machines I get a direct 1 HOP.

My only issue is when these to machines attempt to connect to one another. This also causes other issues like 'Trusts'.

What could be the problem?

I think I found the issue. DHCP and DNS is on the router being used on the gateway and not the switch, so when the node tries to find the other node it crosses over from the switch to the router to resolve the names. For some reason, it can not find an entry and resorts to going out the gateway.

My only other issue is figuring out how to resolve this.

Regardless of the locations of x# of computers, you should not be using more then one router. Replace all the other routers standard switches and this will stableize the system.

You also say you have two servers, are both of these just for within your network or is one or both for access from the outside world?

If one of them is for outside access then install only one additional router in the system like so:

If the ISP router has two or more either ports, then one port to the second router for your network and one port to the server.

If your ISP router only has one either port, then install a switch then from the switch follow the above.

If all devices are not accessable from the outside, just change to the switches.

I understand that but I am not trying to spend money on anymore routers. I am actually looking at working with this Cisco kit I purchased to see if i can do more advanced networking and not just home stuff, but in the meantime this is why I'm working with the routers I have handy. These home routers are getting costly now a days. No need to spend.

I've resolved my issue anyway. I just disabled DHCP on the router which I should of done in the first place and just use the domain controller as the DHCP with the DNS entries.

thanks

Regardless of the locations of x# of computers, you should not be using more then one router. Replace all the other routers standard switches and this will stableize the system.

I don't see why you say that I shouldn't use more than one router. Especially when only one is being used as a router and another as a switch. If a network supports 256-2 nodes, how would that be possible unless you are chaining switches? I don't know of any switch that has 254 ports on it. I've seen this done on Cisco routers so I'm not sure if I agree with you on that one.

Back
Top Bottom