Trouble booting Elementary OS from USB?

CommanderLiamTHX

In Runtime
Hi, so a family member has this Dell Dimension E310 running Windows XP, and we thought that we should update it to something better. I made a 16GB USB boot of Elementary OS Luna using Unetbootin, and whenever I stick it in and press F12 to boot off of it, all it says is "Boot Unsuccessful." Is there any fix to this?

Can you access the grub profile on the USB stick and post it here?

Also can you boot off the stick on another computer?

Edit: can you also try it with another stick? I have seen unetbootin act funny at some times with sticks I have used in the past and odd distros. Hell BT4 on a corsair survivor 16gb and my old MBP was a nightmare but using a crappy OEM on picked up in Munich airport worked fine.

Last edited:
1: OK how noob?
2: can you use that memory stick to boot the OS in question on that stick with that computer?

1: OK how noob?
2: can you use that memory stick to boot the OS in question on that stick with that computer?

Well, it's apparently hard to get it working on a Chromebook without a lot of hacking,

and I don't know how to get the Grub Profile off of the USB stick.

Humm, OK Chrome is nominally only based on linux and I haven't used it unless some one chimes in before I do I will need to look around how to open the grub config files from a usb stick in a chrome book.

Can I check back tomorrow with you? But in the mean time if you need to have a working system CentOS desktop or any version of Ubuntu should work off that stick.

Okay.
Also I might try hacking my Chromebook to run Elementary too, because I'm taking a programming course and need gedit, so I'll start working on that.

I would not bother with that, Chrome books are quite honestly a failed experiment at worst OR a failed version of the old Unix Dumb Terminals of the 70/80's, it can be done but it's not worth it.

If you just want a working nix box take a look around for a cheep 2nd hand system and install unix on that, I am not saying I wont help but a Chrome book will not help you get through uni or any course worth a damn.

Back
Top Bottom