The opposite of CD drive not showing up

familyman01

Baseband Member
I googled my issue, which is that I have an EXTRA CD drive that shows up in Windows explorer on my XP SP3 machine. This just started, completely randomly.

Google only shows the classic "my CD drivedoesn't show up". Weird that I'm the only person on the planet with this issue, so I come back to the experts at Tech Forums (I was a member here ages ago with a 1k+ post count, I know you guys are very informed).

Okay, this is XP so you may think it's got a floppy, well I removed it, but yes, the PC is a 2002-2004 Sony Vaio, with upgraded cpu, vid card, and memory.

I have removed the unneeded second optical drive ages ago, I removed the unneeded floppy drive ages ago. I removed these over 6 months ago when I did a tear down all the way to the thermal paste, once assembled again, fresh XP went onto the OEM full formatted HDD. The CD drive I pulled has never showed up since (until now).

For this roughly 6 month period, it's been working, um, okay, I switched operating systems a couple times (for those of you who read that post) but that's besides the point. During this entire time, no extra drives have been displayed.

I only noticed this "extra drive" when I plugged in my external drive, which is named and usually has the drive letter E. Went to "my computer" to access the drive and noticed the drive letter was changed to F.

I just looked and I still see floppy as A (as i said, i don't even have a physical floppy drive), which I thought I had turned off in the BIOS, shrugs. The DVD burner is at it's proper D as it's always been, and the internal HDD is C, of course.

With my external plugged in or unplugged, this "new" CD drive E still shows up. I don't have virtual drives. I don't have thumbdrives or any SD type card plugged in. A reboot does not fix it.

I know it's more of an aesthetic issue as the only thing it effects is me having to change foobar's library to F/music instead of E, but it's still hella annoying to see a floppy drive and a non-existent CD drive.

What could cause a "ghost" optical drive to appear?

Check in Device Manager to see if it's recognizing a phantom drive there.

You could also check in Disk Management and unassign the letters for the phantom drives so they don't show up.

Weird, I checked both Device Manager and Disk Management under Computer Management, and neither showed these phantom drives. However, windows explorer still shows these extra drives. WTH....

Only these two show up:

Disk 0 Basic online primary Healthy etc...
CD-ROM 0 DVD (D:)

Explorer shows the phantom drives:
3-1/2 Floppy (A:)
CD Drive (E:)

Disable the floppy from within the bios and the pc should not detect it anymore....not sure about the phantom cd drive, but if there's two cd drives in the bios, disable that too

Back
Top Bottom