Specific Issue In Regard To Internet And PS3

ShaneB457

Beta member
Hi guys. I really need help with this and would greatly appreciate any replies as this issue has been bothering me for the past week or so.

Firstly my setup. I have an internet modem which I plug into my laptop, and then I connect my laptop to my PS3 via ethernet cable. It has been working great for about two years now. I haven't had any lag issues for the most part and the internet is quick enough.

But an issue has arisen lately. I can sign into PSN quickly as usual.. no problems there. I can also find games pretty quickly aswell just as before. But, when I enter a game with other people.. the internet speed drops like crazy. Sometimes it returns to normal but then goes back to slow again and the game lags badly. When this happens, I can go and load a certain page on my laptop, but it would take ages to load now.. then when I disconnect from the game lobby, the page loads up quickly again and the internet speed goes back to normal. This is not an issue with the modem signal, as it's always on 100% signal strength..

I changed numerous settings on the PS3 and with my internet, but it's been no good. This problem is happening with every game I play online, and I dont know why it has started to happen now, as I've had very little problems so far.

I posted this thread in this section, not the gaming one. I hope thats okay.. it's just that I feel the problem can somehow be fixed by changing some settings with my internet, and hopefully somebody can enlighten me on how to do this!

Thanks!

Did you hook it up like this? The way you said was confusing, If not try to set your LAN up like this and if you still have problems try and open PSN Ports in your router.

o7ohv6.jpg
[/IMG]

Last edited:
You should never connect any other devices like the PS3 directly to your computer.

You should always connect them directly to either a switch or a router like is shown in the post from popeyedcookie.

Think of the PS3 as a second computer, it also needs its own connection to the network.

Reconfigure your system as shown and tell us what the results are.

From OP's post:

Firstly my setup. I have an internet modem which I plug into my laptop, and then I connect my laptop to my PS3 via ethernet cable. It has been working great for about two years now. I haven't had any lag issues for the most part and the internet is quick enough.

It sounds like OP is using Internet Connection Sharing, which makes the ethernet port act like a router/bridge between a USB modem and PS3. So it sounds like he doesn't have a router/modem like a normal LAN does - probably a mobile hotspot type thing that runs off of cell signal. OP can get internet apparently, but there's just a dramatic slowdown now for some reason.

Secondly.. this post is nearly 2 months old and OP only posted once.

If the OP comes back, then some questions to answer:

Did you update the modem's firmware before the issues started happening? Has the signal changed any? Did you move it do a different location in your house?

Back
Top Bottom