Space station crew bombarded with junk

Status
Not open for further replies.
At that speed even somthing the size of a pea would tear the ISS in half, all that it would take take is it to clip one of the many pressurised tanks and something that could be manageable turns into a major catastrophe. It's not the impact that is always the problem rapid decompression a small hole would be bad enough but in a artificial enviroment having pressurised air escaping from a small hole that is bound to have fracture points will make problems worse.

Reason I gave the idea of several small plates layed over each other is because they have successfuly done that with a few satelites already with out causing the weight to go up much at all, and it also doesn't increase the cost very much.

It's the speed that it is moving that does it. A bullet is very small but it moves at a very rapid speed through the target. Plus the ISS was not designed with armor.

Just watch the first 5 minutes of Pitch Black. A few small astroids managed to f**ed up that ship and crew with in a matter of seconds.

The chunk that caused the alarm was only 5" across, but was moving at almost 4 miles per second. NASA watches for anything 10cm or larger.

10cm to the vastness of space

You don't have to be Carl Sagan to work out that it's going to be hard job to track that. I will be easier for me to find a neddle in hay stack.

this reminds me of an episode of a cartoon (invader zim). he's flying around in his really advanced space ship in earths atmosphere and a bee hits his windshield and brings down the ship and it crashes lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom