Win 10/ Free Up Space

Pezzy

In Runtime
Hi all.

I have a recent clean install of Windows 10 Pro.

I have an SSD. I got it a few years ago; still pretty pricey at the time. It's not "huge" as far as storage space goes (250GB), so I like to keep things as lean as possible on it (I have a separate HDD with 1TB of storage inside of my tower case). So, on the SSD, as far as the "C" drive goes, I have the OS and only the necessary program files.

Now, the storage/ space issue.

I know if you disable "Hibernation" (CMD prompt; Right click, Run as Admin;
type the following in: powercfg.exe /hibernate off. Press Enter and reboot your computer
), that that can free up some space. Let me check this with you and tell me if this sounds feasible:

In Windows 10, if you go to: Control Panel/ System/ System Protection/ then highlight Local Disk [C:] (System), it's usually by Default "On". If I click on the Configure button, mine says that 8.50GB is being used for the Current Usage.

Under the heading of "Restore Settings", there are two radio buttons: "Turn On System Protection"; "Disable System Protection"; by Default, it's "On".

This is all just basically for System Restore, correct? Like if something went freaky, you can just restore your system to a previous point in the past, correct?

If I chose the radio button of "Disable System Protection", would that give me back that 8.50GB I mentioned above?

I also have an external NAS which is constantly backing up my computer. If something freaky ever happened and I needed to install Windows again from scratch, all my important files/ folders are being backed up anyway.

I also noticed after pressing that Configure button that it has a section where it has a slider control, and on mine it shows 4% (10GB). And there's also a Delete button here which says "Delete all restore points for this drive".

So what say you: "Disable System Protection"? Would this free up some space for me? And like I said, I have a NAS doing constant backup for me anyway......

Or, adjust that slider to even less than 4%? And click that Delete button to clear out any recently created restore points? Would this free up space?

Thanks for any info,
Pez

I would look elsewhere to cut corners... You mention you have a backup, which is great, but in the event of malware you'd also be backing up the malware and a restore point can be a hail mary.

Try running Windirstat and see where your biggest opportunity lies. 250gb is plenty for OS if you're installing apps to your storage disk.

I would look elsewhere to cut corners... You mention you have a backup, which is great, but in the event of malware you'd also be backing up the malware and a restore point can be a hail mary.

Try running Windirstat and see where your biggest opportunity lies. 250gb is plenty for OS if you're installing apps to your storage disk.

I've never had good luck with System Restore helping against malware. Only really works in the event of weird system issues caused by updates or software the caused issues. Malware usually sticks around.

@OP:
Up to you if you would like to take the risk of disabling System Protection - that's something you have to weigh.

I'd also suggest running Disk Cleanup - if you did an Upgrade of Win10 from a previous OS, then space will be taken up from that, to allow you to downgrade if you chose to. Running Disk Cleanup will give you the option to delete those restore files.

I've never had good luck with System Restore helping against malware. Only really works in the event of weird system issues caused by updates or software the caused issues. Malware usually sticks around.

Do you know what a Hail Mary is? :)

Do you know what a Hail Mary is? :)

Yeah but I'd rather go with a guaranteed "boot off of a linux live cd, backup any data that needs it, scan it with ClamAV to make sure it's clean, then reinstall windows" than system restore :p.

Hi carnageX & iParanormal; thanks for the replies.

Yes, I know, when it comes to things like System Restore (or any number of other things), there's not always a clear-cut winner or "best choice"; sometimes it comes down to a matter of preference. You weigh the pros & cons and then go with your gut. :p

iParanormal: Yes, I'm familiar with the Windirstat program, I've used it before. I have a copy of the install program on my drive; I just haven't installed it. I don't think there's anything in particular that's on my drive that's being a space hog; I was just curious about the System Protection/ Configure button and that 8.50GB being used for the Current Usage.

And yes, I know that 250GB is plenty for the OS; Win 10 doesn't take up that much space. Even with the apps/ programs I installed after the OS was done installing, there's still plenty of space left, but it's like I said in my original post: I like to keep things lean on my "C" drive, only what's absolutely necessary ;)

carnageX: So you say it's up to me to weigh the risks of perhaps disabling System Protection. Since, like I mentioned, I have an external NAS doing a consistent backup of my integral files/ folders, if something did go freaky, it's not like I'm up you-know-what creek without a paddle. I'd just do a clean install of the OS and then copy my files over from the NAS.

And Disk Cleanup? Yup, already did that. And I'm sure you probably already know that after you launch that app and click on "OK" for the "C" drive, that you can then click on the button for "Clean Up System Files". Did that, too, but nothing in there taking up an inordinate amount of space.

And yes, I did install Win 10 Pro from my previous OS of......Win 10 Home. I had almost forgotten (duh!) that I had - from some years back - a license key for Win 7 Pro, so I entered that for the Digital Entitlement for Win 10. But......

But.....I didn't simply install Pro "over top of" Home. I chose a clean/ custom install, where I deleted all partitions, so there was nothing left of the previous Home installation. This way I did not end up with that "Windows.old" folder.

So since I'm backed up by my NAS.....would disabling System Protection really be that much of a risk? If I disabled it, would I get that 8.50GB back?

Or what about that slider control, where mine shows 4% (10GB). And the Delete button which says "Delete all restore points for this drive". Should I do that? Would that give me some space back?

Thanks for any suggestions or info,
Pez

So since I'm backed up by my NAS.....would disabling System Protection really be that much of a risk? If I disabled it, would I get that 8.50GB back?
Would most likely be fine, especially if you keep a few "archival" backups other than just your most recent system image.

Or what about that slider control, where mine shows 4% (10GB). And the Delete button which says "Delete all restore points for this drive". Should I do that? Would that give me some space back?

Theoretically yes it would give you space back.

Back
Top Bottom