Space MMO Jumpgate Evolution vs Black Prophecy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kyrone

Baseband Member
Why is it that no one can do a space mmo right?

I've noticed that they're always limited, done away with good ideas to expand the game's play value, all out of a budget or deadline, or lack of faith even in the developers for their game.

ANyway, I'm huge space sim fan, an astronomy buff, and all that so I look forward to trying these games.

Here are some differences that I noticed

Jumpgate Evo already has a slightly hefty fanbase and I don't think netdevil is trying very hard at all to step beyond those bounds. They're basicallybeing loyal to their fans by making a product just for them, preexisting fans, hoping that maybe more will get into this time around, but not crossing any thresholds out of the fact that space mmos usually dont do very well anyway. (this thread is not about eve so play, no eve comparisons, thats more like an rts u have to pay for month to month)

Black Prophecy is the first of its kind and looks to me a lot like an mmo version of freespace 2. IT looks amazing. The graphics have depth and a sort of surrealism to it. Almost reminds me of the industrial decay of the alien series meets star wars when you hear the ingame music.

Graphics in jgevo are also entrancing, however different. In jgevo I notice the graphics are more clear, sharper, and theres a lot more color. You can see further out into the distant stars, nebulas, and quasars. This game's graphics seem more arcade like and judging by videos the flight progression seems encouraging while playing, equipped with replenishing boosts to help you dog fight, and overall the game looks like an awesome shooter in battle sequence. JGevo definately not as detailed though.

Black prophecy isn't getting as much promo as I'd like to see and if you go over to the home website I personally think they've srsly chosen the WRONG people to oversee this game's development, and I'm also not a fan of whoever runs their website. You'll see whart I mean.

There's no imagination being put into the storyline and so its very shallow, so if the game doesn't do well and they dont expand, well, you know.

and likesaid jgevo already has a firm loyal playerbase comparable to trekky fans.

Does anybody else know more about these two titles? I'm more specifically leaning towards BP myself.

I just wish there was a space mmo where you could spend just as much time outside the cockpit on planets, ships, and resource stations asmuch as you can be in your ship travelling to said places, encountering foes, friends, missions, and resources therein.

Star Wars Galaxies.... LOLWUT? The old combat system was great. Why did they Sony Online Entertainment have to screw arround with it.... TWICE. There is a saying with SWG.... "A Death Star can destroy a planet. However SOE can destroy Galaxies"

One a serious note, I am looking forward to Star Wars : The Old Republic MMO.

EVE Online is worthwhile provided that you get over the learning curve. They have made the tutorial simplier and at lot more interesting with the current release. Worth looking into.

Anarchy Online. The base came is free. As soon as you want to upgrade to the expansion you need to pay. (Don't quote me on that as it's been a long time since i looked at AO). However the unless they have revamped the game, the graphics are very basic.

Ace Online (aka Space Cowboy Online) - Free MMO where you are mainlying doing a lot of ship to ship dog fighting. It's not too bad but I am glad I am not paying money for it.

Phantasy Star Online - Not a bad game. However I did find that this one is best playied with a joypad as it very hack'n'slash. The Playstation 2 and PC version play on the same server. X-Box 360 has it own server.

StarGate MMO - Does not look too hopeful at this stage. I got a feeling that one might be getting shelved due lack of funding.

I actually just saw infinity quest for earth and it looks more promising then any space based mmo, ever.

I personally have been excited about Jumpgate. It just looks like such an awesome game and the entire structure is so different than other mmos. I think the twitch based combat system might be something really fun to play with.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom