Slow browsing speeds

cyclones

In Runtime
Hello. I've noticed the past few weeks that my browsing speed slowed down and doesn't seem as fast as it used to be. We recently upgraded our WAN speed from our ISP to 20MB. I checked out my WAN speed on speedtest (http://www.speedtest.net/result/2618800245.png) and it looks like the speed is fine. My router is a Asus RT-N66U with DDWRT firmware loaded. How come its regardless still slow? I tried using Firework, Chrome and IE and they all produce the same result.. It wont even fully load a 1080p youtube clip without it hanging up... Any help is appreciated. Thanks!

What sites are acting slow for you? Is it EVERY site you go to or just specific ones.

Some ISP's will throttle your internet speed if you are streaming / downloading things. You may be getting 20mb download when testing, but in reality it may just be 'bursting' to 20mb.

Also is this specific times that you are experiencing this?

The 1080p youtube option is not all about internet speed. It can be that your PC does not have the required hardware to be able to run 1080p video. E.g. Graphics card

It's been happening for all of the websites I've been trying to visit.. I know I have the hardware that supports 1080p because I just built a new custom computer thats higher end.

^^ Bump

I tried visting pages in differnt browsers and they are all the same speed. My WAN connection is 20Mpbs, and a speedtest.net shows I get about 18Mpbs download.. so Im not sure why the pages are loaded and the videos don't fully load and have to keep pausing to load them???

I am not too familiar with download speeds but here is a free bump cause I am curious as to what would cause the problem your having.

A thought has occurred to me (simple but regardless) if anyone else is accessing your internet via Wi-Fi by chance...as in stealing it? That has happened to me once at one point and I experienced terribly slow speeds.

My speedtest.net download shows avg. 25 DL 4.03 UP but I only get like 1.8~2.1 DL and 2.6 UP

The first few things that I would do is power cycle everything, make sure I have all the latest updates and patches for everything, and do a malware check.

Do you experience slow speed with anything else, or just loading websites and youtube?

Does this happen with any other device connected to your network?

Does this happen over both wireless and wired connections?

Are you getting consistent results when running multiple speed tests?

What antivirus are you using?

Back
Top Bottom