sat-nav/gps war in my head... help me!

Status
Not open for further replies.

remixedcat

Banned
Magellan RoadMate 1440 Auto GPS - 4.3" Touch Screen Display, Text-To-Speech, Lane Assistant, North America Maps (Refurbished)
The Magellan RoadMate 1440 includes many premier features, starting with Magellan's exclusive OneTouchâ„¢ favorites menu.
$79.99

Garmin Nuvi 255 GPS - 3.5" Touch Screen, HotFix, Picture Viewer, 3D Map View, North American Maps (Refurbished)
For peace of mind on the go, nüvi 255 leads the way with voice-prompted turn-by-turn directions that speak street names.
$84.97

so what one should I get???

I had the Garmin Nuvi 255 GPS and i hated it. My main issue what they way it distorted the maps. It would make some gentle corners looks like sharp turns. This was with the 2D view. The 3D view was even worse.
It would randomly zoom in and out depending on speed you where travelling at and type of road. Small street it would zoom in. Main roads it would zoom now. And the more you zoomed out, the less detail it would show on the display. Like I would be at a Cross Intersection on a main street, but it would only show it as a T intersection.

I also did not like how it stored your favorites as you have 2 folders. All Locations and Favorites. And just because you stored some thing your favorites did not mean it would be in your All Locations Folder. Deleting favorites you needed to do via computer. You could not do that via the GPS. And Garmin will gladly put in the location of Garmin USA into your satnav. Now why would I want to drive Sydney Australia to Garmin Office in the USA is any one guess...... With the exception of being able to throw my Nuvi 255 at their office window. (Yes, I hated this device)

No QWERTY keyboard. It was all ABC.

Normally I don't have any technology rage, however the Garmin Nuvi 255 did bring that out in me. I do remember hitting it once.

The only thing that I did like about it was
1. Search function for street names foillowed by Suburb. Most other GPS will get you to enter suburb first before street name, and that is really annoying when you are trying to get one of those areas where the suburbs are really close to each other. Eg. My old appartment where I could be living in Annandale, Stanmore or Camperdown depending on who you ask or which GPS you where using.
2. It would give you the name of the street you are suppose to turn into. Whether it will display that street or not in a different story.
3. Even though it failed allot for speed / red light camera warnings, it did a very good job at warning me about school zones during the 8:00pm - 9:30 am / 2:30pm - 4:00pm periods.
Since then, I have moved back to my old Tom Tom. The maps might be 3+ years old, but I at least I am happier with it.
4. Automatically change from Day Mode to Night Mode (and Night Mode to Day Mode)

Have you had a look at TomTom ? I have been rather happy with them.

I hear tom-tom sucks for the US becuase they run on telatlas data wich is so far behind in my area. my old one was a tom-tom and it was terrible for the raleigh, nc area. it was a current year unit with current map data and they did not have I540 on there! (well they had only a tiny stretch that wasn't the stretch I used.

the unit died as well.

I reported the map data to TA and reported 10 errors and 5 incompletes in just 5 weeks. LOL. at least they did add it and respond to my cases. lol.

I have a Garmin 255w and it works perfect; dunno why you're having such a problem with it, KBCB.

The things such as the keyboard and favorites are a bit of a pain, but that's not a problem for me usually since I type in where I want to go before I start driving so I can still tap out the location fairly quickly.

Overall, I've been happy with Garmins.

I have a Garmin 255w and it works perfect; dunno why you're having such a problem with it, KBCB.

I got mine from a pack of cerial. Sorry I lie. It was from my car insurance when I renewed it last year.
My one is just retarded or has a bad case of ADHD.

nice. thanks alot saxon ;)

I do note that they use linux as well in thier gps units which is really cool.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom